Who made e-stays

South Bound":2a8pi2mk said:
Do people just like them for the look?

Yep!

A lot of the e-stay manufacturers combined this anti-suck chainstay design with a shorter wheelbase when tends to give a very lively feeling ride and if you believe their adverts better climbing abilities.

Reputations

My user experience doesn't extend to any cracking (yet) and I have a few flavours - I would suspect that the two main reasons why they didn't remain a staple within the range of most MTB manufacturers was/is that they all jumped on the band wagon and saturated the market in the space of one year (poor sales results - shit, we don't want to do that again - knee jerk reaction); and that they are more time consuming to make.

I think pound-for-pound they're heavier (more metal) than the equivalent two triangle design; undoubtedly more nimble (shorter wheelbase) and therefore 'nervous' on the downhill/rough stuff; tendencies to want to wheely uphill but a better sense of drive offsets this; the bottom bracket flexes on most models when you're stood up, stomping and a Clydesdale.

Ultimately (sic) their looks define the period of retro-MTB history I'm most interested in - hence I'm a sucker for them all... :roll: :LOL:

One day I would like to revisit the design - perhaps with a celebratory designer like Richard Cunningham - and have an updated e-stay made... :cool:

Mr K

PS. Now we have this near-definitive list - why don't we see if we can upload a picture of each brand (if we have them)??

Attachments

• Ultimate Blueprint.jpg
    Ultimate Blueprint.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,287
Re: Reputations

mrkawasaki":14hyrvmn said:
One day I would like to revisit the design - perhaps with a celebratory designer like Richard Cunningham - and have an updated e-stay made... :cool:

Mr K

That's crossed my mind on more than one occasion too.....fancied getting one done in big fat Ti tubes if I ever get the time/cash.

P.S I own three e-stays (two alu and one Tange steel) and I love them :cool:

Neill

neilll":297ilcpq said:
mrkawasaki":297ilcpq said:

Mr K

That's crossed my mind on more than one occasion too.....fancied getting one done in big fat Ti tubes if I ever get the time/cash.

P.S I own three e-stays (two alu and one Tange steel) and I love them :cool:

Neill

Neill is the RM the steel one?

kaiser":359edgc0 said:
Neill is the RM the steel one?

Nope... Rocky is 7000 Series alu, Funk is Easton Vari-Lite alu

the Tange steel baby is the Saracen :)

Neill

A believe the e-stay is true design icon. You can be riding an e-stay all these years on and still get looks of astonishment and awe as you ride past, true head turners by design not shiny bits. They are a distinctive and unique shape that sets them apart from any other type of bicycle successfully made, and I say successfully with confidence (these bikes won major races, championships, sold in decent numbers and still bring smiles to our faces today). You take a classic e-stay to any event and just watch the response of the riders who remember as they gather around and reminisce about their first bikes and the pictures they had on their walls as boys, also watch the looks of disgust from those who don't know as their new £3k bike is shunned of attention. It was the alpinestars e-stay that led me here to retrobike and to me a true retrobike has to be an e-stay.

Carerra, hard to believe but I've seen one, probably classes as really horrid.
Also seen a high tensile steel horror by one of the really cheap makes say probike or integra or some such.
There were alot of them about.

I'm not sure this thread will help me find a cheap one now :LOL:

Mr K good idea, as theres a few I haven't heard of

Marmite Kings pic of a Saracen Killi

saracen_killi_racer_lrg_154.jpg

Back