Which would you build? Bionicon vs Marin - one must go!

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
0242F698-BE3F-4ACF-A979-53786C78AB93.jpeg 7D1708E2-1E8C-48F4-8A16-039784944DB8.jpeg While on the hunt for a full susser I did what any sensible Retrobiker would do and bought two. I ought to get rid of one really - neither is getting built any time soon.

What I really wanted was something slightly more capable and confidence inspiring than my current fave 98 clockwork. The clockwork is great, but I fancied something that went a bit quicker downhill

Bionicon was hard to resist because it's unusual and seemed exotic for the money. I'd never heard of them before it turned up for sale on here... with the variable geometry seems to offer something closer to "modern" frame design?

Marin was more of an itch to scratch... it's a bit more conventional and period wise closer to my comfort zone (I have no modern bikes). I've fancied one for a while. I've got some air filled Bombers which seem a good match for it too.

But which will ride better in the real world?

Is the geometry air system working well in the bionicon? The suspension and rear shock is in good conditions? Because if not, the bicycle is useless. I like more the binicon because the rare air system to change the geometry. But could be problematic to find spares.

Was bought off here - seller assured me it's all good. I guess tricky to assess until the bike's built up... but maybe I'll have a bit more of a play with it.

Build the Bionicon!!!!!!
But keep the Marin just incase it’s crap 😛

Most of the parts will be transferable if you don’t like it for any reason and can be used to build the Marin. Anything that’s different size like seatpost is a cheap swap.
If you need the cash from the frame sale to progress the build then I’d sell the Marin. It’s the easiest one to find again at a later date.
Neither will ride great compared to a modern bike, but that’s not why we like retro bikes. I don’t buy retro anymore, but still like to look out for quirky things that you rarely see these days. That Bionicon appeals to me.

Back