What's the tool I need for this freewheel?

A Stillson pipe wrench applied to the part with the four driving dogs is what will get that off. The design of the Stillson wrench is such that it grips tighter the more you apply force to the handle. The jaws also have a lot of deep serrations for gripping. I wouldn't normally recommend a Stillson wrench, because it's a brute of a tool, and can do damage to the part you're gripping. In fact, usually I'd only use a Stillson wrench on a freewheel removal tool, because freewheel removers are made of hardened steel, and can take it without deforming. However, you don't seem to care much about the freewheel, so a Stillson wrench will be fine.

ae235

If you buy one, make sure the jaws will open wide enough for the bit you need to grip. For example, this one only goes to 32mm, which might not be quite enough.

I believe I have removed a similar freewheel in the past.
Method 1: I have used a punch placed in the hole at a slight angle and a mallet to tap the punch which has loosened off the centre. I may have used a chain whip to hold the freewheel in place with some tension to stop it from spinning.
Method 2: I have also used a pair of needle nose pliers in the two holes, with a wrench placed around the body of the pliers. May have used a chain whip to provide tension on the freewheel to help.

Back