What's the tool I need for this freewheel?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
No, the peg spanner is for the innards of it. It's an unusual freewheel as it overhangs over the shaft and sits further outboard.
Look behind the sprocket - that's the static bit and it has four dogs to allow it to be undone. I guess it will fit a normal spanner, although it will need a lot of care.

Thanks both. I think the same bike comes as both single and six speed freewheel versions and I suspect they share the same frames/wheels and hence this type of freewheel. I tried getting an adjustable spanner on the dogs and it grips a bit and then slips. Not sure there's enough room for a pair of mole grips and in any case getting enough leverage would be tricky.

Think I'm going to take another look at the end of the week when I can get access to a mate's workshop and have confidence that if I end up having to take a destructive approach I can actually get the bloody thing off.

You can remove the thing by undoing the ring with the peg spanner (it's a LH thread), discarding the innards and then gripping the thing in a vice.

These can’t be removed without destroying them. The ring pin spanner just slips out as peddling makes these very tight. The cover plate can be taken off, the pall’s removed and then it can be taken off. I usually just weld them shut and back it off but you run a risk I’d ruining the threads on the hub. Welding is quick and easy and these free wheels are such garbage that I just remove them fast and replace them. Replace it with a quality unit that a standard puller works on, like a Shimano.

Last edited:
That looks to be the most dreadfully designed freewheel I have ever seen.

This may sound crazy, how about a piece of chain around ALL the dogs, then the chain closed up tight in a bench vice?

Try a big set of locking grip pliers. Grind it down if it interferes with spokes, etc. this probably won’t work as they get sooo tight and you probably won’t have a long enough lever. This is probably your best bet without destroying it. I would just weld the spinning cog to the cover. Off in 5 minutes. I have cracked welds doing this but it has always worked. I try and tack it lightly at first and if that doesn’t work I gob weld the heck out of it and put it in a vice and turn the rim. Even gob welding and getting it very red hot did no harm an aluminum hub.

Back