what was something you used to think was crap but now you quite like it?

Had a brief (about 3 years) flirtation with full suspension, but on getting a new hardtail earlier in the year - I've found my full sus has stayed at home. I've not ridden it all since Jan. I recognise the additional capabilities and comfort full suspension brings - but for my kind of riding; the trade offs of increased weight, awkwardness of riding outside of trails, reduced pedalling efficiency and more maintenance are not worth it.

700C, back in time I though this is nothing for a sportsman,
Now i have realized that those bikes roll nice and bring a lot of joy for all-round usage and that there had been even a few nice models offered back in time (without fenders and ergonomic bar, but with a good quality frame, reasonable parts and lightweight) like Jamis Coda.

The nice thread about it was just started earlier the year but has quite a lot of nice bikes meanwhile

+1 for 3DV

For me it would be some form of mudguards for winter riding, be it proper old school style, or ass savers, or whatever. I'm too old to be worried about what I look like, and would much rather keep my derriere dry and my face clear of muck. Plus you can pop them on and off in an instant.
I was always the same, more poor mothers washing machine.. now I have a crud catcher front , old school star wars logo on everything to save my face even if its just tiny stones and dog shit.. and two bikes have original rear crud catchers with the stays, bombproof even 25 yrs old, they are on two less shiny and perfect bikes I dont cry about winter dirtiness.
This year I have a less than perfect 92 Orange clockwork equipped thus, I doubt I will ride anything else most of the winter.
I still dont like the look of guards , which is why the rear ones come off at easter... but lifes too short!

Pannier bags.

I used to think they looked shite but now I've been commuting for a few years and needing the space for jackets, a packed lunch and spares they're bloody awesome.

Still look a little bit shit though....... :LOL:
How olds the bike? I scoured the net for a long time, got a period set of Karrimor panniers in black anthracite front and back for my Marin Bear valley shopping / packing bike. I used to pour derision on any Doris using them unless they were off on proper travels, but now I love how they look, and my inner geek knowing they were made the same year.. !
Yet to have a big adventure with them but I can go into town and do a full market day shop with them now I know how to load the weight..!

How olds the bike? I scoured the net for a long time, got a period set of Karrimor panniers in black anthracite front and back for my Marin Bear valley shopping / packing bike. I used to pour derision on any Doris using them unless they were off on proper travels, but now I love how they look, and my inner geek knowing they were made the same year.. !
Yet to have a big adventure with them but I can go into town and do a full market day shop with them now I know how to load the weight..!

It's now a 89 Saracen Tufftrax and has been absolutely fantastic for the £35 it cost me. Prior to that I used a 95 Kona Lava Dome and a Merlin titanium.

The Tufftrax weighs an absolute ton I must admit but it's a good training tool for me.

It's now a 89 Saracen Tufftrax and has been absolutely fantastic for the £35 it cost me. Prior to that I used a 95 Kona Lava Dome and a Merlin titanium.

The Tufftrax weighs an absolute ton I must admit but it's a good training tool for me.
There you go screaming for old school handmade karrimor.. modern shite is sports direct made lord knows where probably by kids .. but I have issues across walking and cycling with anything old karrimor, great quality and out there for eager eyed, panniers, pertex etc, all part of the obsession for me!

Latest posts

Back