What have i bought? Reynolds 653 Raleigh with XC-Pro - is it a White Lightning?-now with added muddy fox content

Rims were a favourite high end item in the early 90s. Fork could be interesting if not a gem. I hope a tall rider buys from you and rides it w/ a smile.

If your not sure about the xpress shifter, just swap them out for the xc pro thumbies....they were both available at the same time bitd.

So.... I've had a chance to tinker some more... New pins for my pin spanner arrived in the week, as did some 90's style neon bits.
Family duties dealt with and I've had a few hours today to play with the bike some more.
Bottom bracket was very stiff to remove so I've chased and faced the shell, bb fitted is a Xc pro grease guard one but without the proper bolts, unfortunately the non drive side cup is very worn and I can't adjust it to be smooth and with no play, I'll have to fit a sealed unit if I'm going to ride it more.
Cables are replaced, the xpress pods take a wierd cable with a small brake lever style nipple, luckily the old outers were miles too long so I've been able to trim off the damaged frayed ends and re use them.
Clips and straps fitted for full retro goodness and I found some grips in the spares box that match the colour scheme.
I think if I can fit a slightly shorter stem than the 140mm that's on it, and maybe some 600mm ish bars instead of the 560mm then the riding position will be better for my aching back and I'll end up keeping it and maybe have it resprayed next year.
DSC_1819.JPG
DSC_1821.JPG

Oh, and keep looking on marketplace for 'bikes', this was on yesterday so a short drive and £30 later I've picked up the same bike I got for my 15th birthday, still catalogue spec, even on its original tyres....
DSC_1822.JPG
DSC_1823.JPG
DSC_1824.JPG

And so it begins ………….

Very nice. Whereabouts in Leicestershire out of interest? Grew up there. !

Latest posts

Back