Unusual Kona models or colours

JCS, Thank you so much for the info. Could my bike has the 88 Brodie frame with a custom Kona Explosif paint and logos?

Reactions: JCS
Here is my 88 Explosive painted by Rich as you stated. Just to confirm.

Attachments

• FF0D4069-29B6-41F2-A6C7-EFFB2858ABB4.jpeg
    FF0D4069-29B6-41F2-A6C7-EFFB2858ABB4.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 18
Very interesting for sure, beautiful explosif BTW

That is unmistakably a brodie "style" pump peg (he made them from a single nail) I wonder who the builder was?

@raidan73 @Retro_Roy any thoughts here? Paint by Rich?

Lovely Explosif @TomMTB. The early Explosif's were offered with custom paint and braze ons, for an extra cost of course. A lot of this work was done by Brodie bikes, who were part of The Bicycle Group (TBG) at the time. The bare frames would've been shipped from overseas and then the braze ons and paint added in Canada. While the relationship ultimately didn't end well, there are some great looking and unique Explosifs out there that serve as a reminder of TBG era in mtb history

Lovely Explosif @TomMTB. The early Explosif's were offered with custom paint and braze ons, for an extra cost of course. A lot of this work was done by Brodie bikes, who were part of The Bicycle Group (TBG) at the time. The bare frames would've been shipped from overseas and then the braze ons and paint added in Canada. While the relationship ultimately didn't end well, there are some great looking and unique Explosifs out there that serve as a reminder of TBG era in mtb history
Thanks Adrian, I wasn't aware the partnership extended that far at the time but that pump peg had me wondering, great to have clarification 👍

This metallic black Lava Dome I have probably counts here, not in any of the catalogues, 1994. Sorry about the commuting kit ;) Pretty light I found, around 2250g with headset cups in, size 20. I think my old Kilauea from same year was heavier, although the concept tubes are much cooler.

Attachments

• 20230214_093544.jpg
    20230214_093544.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 15
I would have to add the "Mustard" color of the 1997 Explosif is an unusual color. Its actually very striking to the point that it pains me to repaint and I'll leave it as is :oops: IMG_2298.jpg

Reactions: JCS
Back