Unrideable steering driving me up the wall...

If you have the front dismantled, try removing the lower headset cup and re-installing it 90 degrees rotated. It might be slightly distorted in the front-rear axis, alternatively there may be slight dimples in the races (brinnelling) caused by wear. Anyway, it will reduce the headset's wish to return to a particular position which really makes handling feel terrible.
Cheers Hamster, will do.

Whilst bike was upside down triple-quadruple checking the run out on the wheels I went over the frame welds again - does the below look like a bona fide crack/sign of something lurking beneath that would move under load/battering (NDS chainstay weld, underside)? Paint job is original and in true 26yrs hard labour condition, but that's the only flaking/chippng on any weld that I can see .

m2_crack.jpg

It's psychosomatic, you'll get over it....seriously though, get taking some paint off - doesn't look too bad there but could be worse underneath.

sounds like a headset issue. Too tight and you get that kind of weave effect. Maybe the rough trail section is causing something to shift/compress and then temporarily stick.

Cheers Hamster, will do.

Whilst bike was upside down triple-quadruple checking the run out on the wheels I went over the frame welds again - does the below look like a bona fide crack/sign of something lurking beneath that would move under load/battering (NDS chainstay weld, underside)? Paint job is original and in true 26yrs hard labour condition, but that's the only flaking/chippng on any weld that I can see .

View attachment 545362
That doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Cheers all, really appreciate the collective wisdom (including the more pull yourself together lad ones, which might be close to the mark given how I tend to get when a niggle develops on the bike...!) ; I'll investigate on the lines suggested above over weekend and let you know how I get on...

I had a look at your posts, and assuming you have the set up I think, I would say a 60mm stem with 560mm bars might make for some twitchy riding.
Try the bike with wider bars if you have some.

I had a look at your posts, and assuming you have the set up I think, I would say a 60mm stem with 560mm bars might make for some twitchy riding.
Try the bike with wider bars if you have some.
Cheers mate.

Yep, it's definitely got a 'tasty'/shopping trolley steering response that does let you know about every root and chipping you encounter and is probably exaggerating/amplifying the fault, but that's been the setup for two years now on the same wheel/tyre combos and routes - and this is definitely a new/different sensation - long/strong weave/warp to the handling rather than a twitch/kick or speed wobble.

Back