Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Re: Re:

grumpycommuter":3fhym5eo said:
Given you proximity to London could I suggest going fixed and brakeless? Zero things to go wrong :D

I'm very tempted by the idea of a minimal bike – having more time to spend riding having fun than spent fixing and cursing, plus I admire the overall uncluttered aesthetic. But alas, on my route I still have some big hill climbs and then I have to contend with buses, black cabs and assorted general idiots making dangerous manoeuvres. I'm no Evel Knievel but with each commute I make I experience at least half a dozen life threatening moments. I'm just not confident enough to go 'brakeless' in those conditions yet.

Re:

Have made spicy courgette chutney, leek and potato soup and pickled onions. All made with produce from the allotment.

Anyone want any marrows? We have some the size of Zeppelins.

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":zyx1it25 said:
Have made spicy courgette chutney, leek and potato soup and pickled onions. All made with produce from the allotment.

Anyone want any marrows? We have some the size of Zeppelins.

The chutney sounds good. It's courgette O'clock here too – I'll swap you some! Current personal best is roughly 660mm long with diameter of 115mm. Did a courgette korma on Sunday which lasted two dinners and one lunch at work. Done a mahoosive frittata/omelette with another zeppelin which did a supper and a packed lunch. Also huge tray of roasted Med veg including, yes – courgette. Round our way, people are leaving the blighters on a table outside the lotty trading hut as they obviously can't face yet another marrow based meal. My personal fave thing to do with a super marrow is to make marrow and ginger jam...

Will hopefully get photos of my fathers smallholding for the thread.
Isn't exactly an allotment but he has his veg and plants up there :) .

Re:

Not visited this thread for quite a while .
Had a good year with fruit this year apart from the apple trees which got zapped a late frost .
Strawberries excellent with even a small late crop
Sweet corn lovely .
Reroofed one of the sheds in September .
Need a dry spell now so as I can dig certain areas over .

The battle with mares tail continues . :facepalm:

had a good first year too, got over half my plot working with 75% ready to go next year. had a bit of everything and still pulling up carrots and turnips, had a few saffron crocus last month, even swapped a marrow for a greenhouse :) oh and got voted onto the committee.

Re:

Spent a while tidying up the allotment yesterday. Came home with a bag of swag including Beetroot, Cabbage, Parsnips and Leeks. :xmas-big-grin:

My Brussells have been a failure :(

Re:

Not done much allotmenteering for a few months but have kicked off 2015 with one of the earliest events on the calender – another visit to Myddelton House (Enfield) for their snowdrop sale. Long queue early Saturday morning in a bitter wind waiting to be let in for the sale that is an intense scrummage of the sharpest elderly elbows for half an hour. Lots of £50 notes changing hands. The auricula guy from Lockyer's was dashing from table to table with wads of cash. Three figure sums changing hands feverishly.

Next up is the potato day at Stonham Barns (14th Feb near Stowmarket) for more spuds.

Attachments

• just how much is that snow drop.jpg
    just how much is that snow drop.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,243
  • snow drop scrummage.jpg
    snow drop scrummage.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • snowdrops.JPG
    snowdrops.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,243
Back