Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Re: Re:

grumpycommuter":16di8wfv said:
Nasturtiums. ...arrrggghhhhh!

what's wrong with them? was hoping to make some capers with them. love the way my granddad says nasturtiums in his Glaswegian
accent

Absolutely love nasturtiums, one of my fave flowers but the blackfly...ughhhhhh!

How's the back bearing up Lumos? Looks like your making cracking progress.

the back was all good after about 3 weeks rest and I had a very nice chiropractor jump up and down on me. :) im about a month behind everyone else at the allotment, which is good because I keep an eye on what others are doing

Re:

Feel some gardening leave coming on – was fixing the bike up this morning for the week ahead, dropped some small but vital parts, twisted awkwardly to pick them up – now the sciatica has returned with a vengeance. Tried to watch Le Tour in bed but couldn't get comfy. Was going to collect some spuds from the lotty.

groovyblueshed":3ufhda0b said:
Feel some gardening leave coming on – was fixing the bike up this morning for the week ahead, dropped some small but vital parts, twisted awkwardly to pick them up – now the sciatica has returned with a vengeance. Tried to watch Le Tour in bed but couldn't get comfy. Was going to collect some spuds from the lotty.

You need to go single speed Howard. Fewer vital parts to drop :D

grumpycommuter":17pywas1 said:
groovyblueshed":17pywas1 said:

You need to go single speed Howard. Fewer vital parts to drop :D

Absolutely Karl. It's a real chore cleaning and retuning the indexing, etc, before each weekly commute starts.

I'm running one ring at the mo. I've been considering going SS for a while now, though am not quite sure about giving up the cassette and nice DX parts just yet. Mind, there's probably only three cogs I ever actually use though. Thinking of getting a big stainless Surly ring and some SS kit come next pay day. Mrs Groovy will probably notice: "he's got another box of bike bits" :roll:

However, this time it wasn't the gears subject to inventive cursing and profanities – was fitting some of those new fangled V-brakes. Had a sharp twinge whilst leaning over the bike and dropped a cluster of washers at the vital moment, with them scattering to the four corners of the Earth :facepalm: Managed to find the essential concave/convex washers and then my back went whilst reaching for them. The number of flying springs from various parts I've had to forensically search the kitchen or garden for :facepalm:

Was going to go to the lotty to fetch a batch of spuds for dinner and for potato salad lunches but felt that wielding a fork would be a bad idea. Time to break out the heat pads and support corsets...

Re:

quick update, ive been getting a steady supply of veg all summer long and starting to see the potential of the plot, ive only got about half the plot working. my spuds, maris piper, have suffered from wire worm but there are still usable. I think its because of the grass that was there before, I had to chop the pumpkins early than id liked because of mildew on the leaves but I think they were about done anyway.
ive started planting for autumn/winter and have loads of enthusiasm to get organised for next year. also been scrumping apples :D need to pop out to get some blackberries soon

Attachments

• 10540632_10152630125023588_3825457102961485153_n.jpg
    10540632_10152630125023588_3825457102961485153_n.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 821
  • 10009303_10152640518123588_5718289829927344307_n.jpg
    10009303_10152640518123588_5718289829927344307_n.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 821
Re:

Wow, that's a fabulous bounty you've got there Lumos! That's what it's all about. Can tell what you'll be mostly eating this week. Good stuff!

Had a lot of wire burrowing through my spuds too. Problem is I'm on heavy clay soil so can miss a few of the things if I don't break up every single clod. Also, with the much wetter warmer winters we've had, many pests aren't being killed off like they would be if we'd had a few weeks of Arctic-like weather. Some of the spuds had a touch of scab – I'm wondering if the council compost delivered to us is a bit alkaline.

Back