Univega so underrated?

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
I am still trying to understand why the Univega was so underrated bitd? Great frames and components. My first ever bike was a cheaper Univega, but when I was in Denmark in August 94 I passed a bike shop that had a Alpina 5.5 special edition with full LX group. I fell in love! I have bought one of these last week and what a bike! Frame is stunning and the group speaks for itself in the day.

What are your thaughts, experiences and opinions please, I'm interested as I could not then or now fault these bikes.

Yeah, I was wondering about them the other day, too.

DISCLAIMER: For me, their steel range matters only, I can't be arsed with their alloy/carbon goodies.

They were priced in the same range as GTs, Diamond Backs, even TREKs. Yet most steel models shared the same frames, from Alivio/Exage/STX level to XT, at least that's my experience with them.

1" headtube used well into mid-'90s meant limited choice of susp. upgrades.

Quirky "Max Mudroom" asymmetrical chainstay, however useful, looked odd/deformed/broken to punters, I guess?

Designs clues are borrowed from early Schwinns(downward bent right side
asym. chainstay) or Rocky Mountains (rear stays/seatpost junction) could be too obvious?

Lack of huge racing heritage, weak marketing, confusing model names, and I can't remember any "halo" steel (cult, at least for me), top' notch version either, if anyone knows one let me know please.

I am in Denmark and I've seen Univega's being sold in retro circles, but I'd like to know why they haven't reached a more notable status as well.

Re:

Sure, underrated.

From memory, there wernt many stockists. I cannot recall one.

And now, may have a 'risky purchase' tag on them, being less popular
Than the better known brands. Trek, marin, Raleigh were everywhere.

The 5 point something range are lovely. Thin tubes and all.

legrandefromage":2t1nrnm8 said:
Those rear stays were a water trap and rusted out.
Never thaught of that one. Good point. Lucky with my find its mint. However, I have seen a few with rust around the bb area.

Re:

Who remembers the Shockblok circa 93?Full suspension Ti frame,Tri Spokes and full XTR.That was seriously cool.Never had the marketing oomph the others had though.

I think it was just a massively crowded market and the importer wasn't particularly interested. A couple of folks i raced with picked up sponsorship deals, but it was very low key, pretty much "here's a bike and a couple of jerseys, see you in october, let me know if you win anything".

Some of the top end ones were interesting, but no one wanted to stock them.......

Gaddmeister":32fnnvm0 said:
legrandefromage":32fnnvm0 said:
Those rear stays were a water trap and rusted out.
Never thaught of that one. Good point. Lucky with my find its mint. However, I have seen a few with rust around the bb area.

Anyone got a picture ?

Where do they rust on the BB

Only a guy at work is selling one !

Back