Univega so underrated?

Re:

I also had the same black/blue Alpina 5.5 a few years ago. I scored the frame and forks as a freebie, then built up as a 1x8 with parts bin fodder. Ended up selling for a reasonable price, so a win at the time :)

I seem to remember that the frame did ride well. It didn't seem heavy either.

As for top end exotica, they were one of the few manufacturers to offer metal matrix frames (Boralyn) in the form of the Boralite. In fact, there is one for sale on Ebay at the moment...

Re:

Anybody have any info/knowledge of the lower end models early to mid 90's.

I have picked up a Rover 304, anodized red steel. Mid 90's, pre a head set.

I know they did a 302 and a 303 but wondered how they compared

Re: Re:

widowmaker":3uvw6txu said:

Univega tended to use the same frame for the higher end, the Alpinas, and the same frame for the lower end, the Rovers. My first mountain bike was a Rover bought back in '92. The frames were a different design and iirc made from hi tensile steel. I upgraded everything bar the frame to xt, but always hankered after an Alpina due to the cool frame design.

Re: Re:

Gaddmeister":31ps8qcv said:
widowmaker":31ps8qcv said:

Univega tended to use the same frame for the higher end, the Alpinas, and the same frame for the lower end, the Rovers. My first mountain bike was a Rover bought back in '92. The frames were a different design and iirc made from hi tensile steel. I upgraded everything bar the frame to xt, but always hankered after an Alpina due to the cool frame design.

I Karmad an Alpine a year or so ago, it hadn't got in the back of the couriers van before I regretted it :facepalm:

Back