Calling all Univega BITD Rememberers!!

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
Ok Gents, Im seriously not trying to go bonkers, however am convinced i am potentially correct. Back in 1994 Univega seemed to have a push and offered special editions of each model. I remember staring at them in the showroom during my stay in Denmark during my stay for my mothers funeral. I had a Univega Rover back home and always lusted over the Alpina. Now i remember the Alpina in Blue and Black as the Special Edition models. I may be mistaken as there was the STX SE Special Edition with gold rims. I have a 100% low mileage Alpina 5.5 in Blue/Black which has gold rims and LX hubs with gold LX pedal cages? I wish there was some literature and knowledge? I remember the day i had carried my mothers coffin which was the same day i saw these Blue/Black Alpinas. I finally own one and just want it original, it marks a special day for me. TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_20210726_005646_606.jpg
    IMG_20210726_005646_606.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi, i do have a few brochures meanwhile, but model line and portfolio is to me still a bit unclear as it seems that Univega had in addition to whats in the catalogues also regional (for local sales teams) and even mid season models.
The blue and black one came at least in Germany also as 6.5 and with Concept (AMP) suspension fork.
This is in the official 1993 catalog.
Univega Alpina 6_5 mit Concept 1993.jpg

Last edited:
hi, a few more details from my 92-95 catalogs,
20210830_144120.jpg
no "special edition" model at all is listened there, also not in Bike Markt and other german buyers guide magazines i do have.
"Pro" and "Team" had been the only extraordinary names (leaving Shockblok and Titanium or Boralyn Bikes to the side).

There is a blue-black S6.5 in 1993 line-up
20210830_144222.jpg

and a blue-black (white decals) 5.7 in 1994.
20210830_144206.jpg

Thats it.

However, i have seen (and Google image search shows them too), 5.5 in blue-black as yours, but also 6.5 in same color trim
Univega 6.5 concept.jpg

That brings me back to my theory of specific models for local markets only, or something like late season models (as explicit mentioned on my 1995 brochure).

It may get a bit hard to shed some more lights into this.

But I'm happy to help you getting your 5.5 original again, especially after you've shared the personal story above.

Last edited:
Back