Tyre shipping methods and etiquette

Muddy Funster

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I'm going to be shifting a load of tyres, most of which are steel bead - is it acceptable to do the double loop thing to get them into a smaller size for shipping or is it frowned upon? :?

I guess it depends on the value and condition of the tyres, but most of these are NOS and so I don't want to irk buyers too much. :oops:

What do you do?
Cheers

Re:

Good afternoon :)
If I was buying them i'd like them as they should be, even if it cost an extra quid or so. I have seen motorbike tyres wrapped in black shrink-wrap when being delivered, so maybe using black refuse sacks to wrap them beforehand ?
I have bought tyres on here but they've been purchased with wheels too, which have been boxed up together.

Re:

Probably a bit of personal preference tbh.
I've had wired ones folded & they've been ok once fitted & inflated, if twisted into a figure eight then bring the two loops together carefully they should be ok but actually folding the steel bead would cause a problem I think, the bead could bend leaving a permanent deformation.
I prefer beaded to be left unfolded!

Re:

Thanks for the responses :cool:

I think you’re right, give the buyers a choice and take it from there... it’d be a shame to cause damage and a couple of bin bags should do the trick :D

:cool:

Re:

It does depend on age and construction. Sometimes even gentle looping of new steel bead tyres can lead to a loud '....crack...!!...' and deformation of the bead. And certainly some sidewalls of older tyres start falling to bits when folded...but then they are not really rideable if they do that....

Indeed give buyer a choice....

Back