Tubular evangelists - advice needed

Holiocornolio

Devout Dirtbag
So, a build thread will be forthcoming at some point, as I progress the restoration of an old condor baracchi frameset, but the project seems to evolve with every component I acquire. Originally the plan was to build a mostly vintage correct bike, with some modern conveniences, such as dual pivot brakes and tubeless tyres (28mm). The latest evolution came about when I found some well priced, almost NOS Mavic GP4 rims. So tubeless has become tubular, and now I'm thinking, that maybe, since the wheels are period correct, the tyres should be too. I don't ride anything narrower than a 25mm tyre right now, and the thought of 22mm tubs is a bit intimidating to me, but having mounted a manky old skinny tub on the wheel and mocked it up in the rear dropouts, it does look somehow more 'right' with the skinny tyre. The bike will be a dry days only bike, with velvet carpet treatment, so all day comfort isn't top of my agenda, but I've heard legend that a 22mm tub is as comfy as a 25mm clincher anyway. Bullshit or truth?

Don't forget that you'll have to pump them up to 120psi to keep 'in period' :)* The narrower the tyre, the higher the pressure required. If you don't have tubulars hard then pinch flats can occur - and repairs are a lot more difficult (but by no means impossible). Comfort is a relative term, my armchair ride might cripple someone else and vice versa.

* I use 100psi in my 'modern' tubs which are quite a bit 'fatter' than the ones I used BITD. My 18mm Wolbers had 150 psi+ when ridden on dragstrip time trial courses.

18mm!?? Wince.
Comfort for me means 28mm tubeless at around 70psi. Wider is pure decadence, not that I'm averse to a spot of indulgence you understand...
I do notice the difference between 25 and 28mm, and I've always thought of 25mm as the sweet spot in terms of comfort Vs speed. That being said, the roads around me are 40%flint, 25% farmers field overspill and 35% pothole so I do feel that 22mm tyres at 120psi is potentially an invitation to hemorrhoids... But it will look cool, and I can always buy one of those donut shaped cushions

Old Ned":25p3quwm said:
Don't forget that you'll have to pump them up to 120psi to keep 'in period' :)* The narrower the tyre, the higher the pressure required. If you don't have tubulars hard then pinch flats can occur - and repairs are a lot more difficult (but by no means impossible). Comfort is a relative term, my armchair ride might cripple someone else and vice versa.

* I use 100psi in my 'modern' tubs which are quite a bit 'fatter' than the ones I used BITD. My 18mm Wolbers had 150 psi+ when ridden on dragstrip time trial courses.

Clement 3’s & Seta Extras were a little higher I had 165psi in mine..I had Wolber Record Piste 18mm & they were ideal at 150psi they certain sung on the roads....

Re:

Why not use a Vittoria Rally in a 25 they have a tan wall option for those that need it.

I ride tubulars all my cycling-life. For more than 50 years now. Nothing wrong with them. In earlier days tehere were't such small clinchers. Nowadays there are. But nevetheless I ride both. I can repair tubulars myself. When stored correct, tubulars don't have disadvantages against clichers. Store them in the dark and not to dry. I recently bought a 25 Vittoria Rally 25 mm. Nice tubular, buth I also ride the more 'normal' 23 mm.

The Vittoria rally was one of the options I was considering. Also potentially also the challenge elite. Any love for challenge?

Nob":3ntmo8bc said:
Dugasts are nice also :)
These are more ment for them who do races. But indeed the tubulars of that brand for cyclo-cross as well as track are very special, and due to that ofcourse more expensive :) Nowadays business is done by a Dutchman, earlier a French manufactor...

Nob":3iwcq8qn said:
Dugasts are nice also :)
a bit spendy for my taste but they do look very nice indeed. In the end, decathlon decided for me by having 23mm vittoria rallys for sale at £14.99 each plus shipping. Can't argue with that. How bad can they be? Now to get the residual tub tape off these rims.... hey ho!

Back