Trp Spykes vs bb7

Move your complete front brake to the rear wheel, get a 180mm Magura rotor for the front and use the currently-rear brake with it. Reasoning being that due to weight transfer rear brakes always do less work so for one thing they'll take longer to break in and also need smaller rotor to achieve same braking as front wheel. Your front brake is already broken in so just pop it on the rear wheel and be done with that end of the bike for good (hopefully). Then you'll break the so-so brake in much faster and better on the front and with a larger rotor, plus you'll gain some much needed extra braking torque while at it.
Very interesting idea there, mate.. Didn't think of that. Might give that a go! 🍺

The other thing is for a heavy rider larger rotors are always beneficial. Again maybe not a 215mm with a 4-pot caliper on the front cause that fork will hate it, but since the TRP can't grab like an M4 or something I really don't see a downside to going fill 8" if it can fit, all that's gonna change is you won't have to pull so fiercely on them skinny levers.

The other thing is for a heavy rider larger rotors are always beneficial. Again maybe not a 215mm with a 4-pot caliper on the front cause that fork will hate it, but since the TRP can't grab like an M4 or something I really don't see a downside to going fill 8" if it can fit, all that's gonna change is you won't have to pull so fiercely on them skinny levers.
Good info again, just getting into the world of discs. Afraid that after I've got this one dialed in I will never buy another disc bike, luckily the KM is setup so well that I'll keep it despite its flaw (pizza cutters) - also it's sentimental because it was a hassle getting it here.

Ill play around with rotor sizes and stuff when I've freed up some cash, as I've got a built starting this weekend.

Bht yeah, thanks again mate, appreciate the input and it's definitely some yummy food for thought. A pint with your name on it at the communal drunktank!

See I'm the opposite, no way in hell will I ever go back to those infernal creations known as rim brakes 🤣🤣🤣
I think you're in a majority there, I can see loads of benefits to discs, no doubt. I like that I don't have to be as concerned with truing, I like that it doesn't wear down the rim to the point where eventually I need new wheels, I like the overall idea. But I can dial in the cheapest set of v's with a set of koolstop and stop confidently with very little tinkering. The same cannot be said for discs yet, but I have little patience for messing about with individual components excessively these days.

I try to make stuff simple for myself so I have more time to hydrate 🍺 🥴

That's why I don't have any geared bikes either, a derailleur is just a hassle and it can break.

I have two singlespeeds, ride one to work regularly, and regret my life choices every time the wind picks up 🤣

I'm honestly very surprised at all the issues ppl seem to be having with disc brakes. My rule of thumb is basically look at what the downhill crowd used to ride a few seasons ago and get that, obviously it's good enough and not being in style anymore means it's cheap to obtain (typically).

I have two singlespeeds, ride one to work regularly, and regret my life choices every time the wind picks up 🤣

I'm honestly very surprised at all the issues ppl seem to be having with disc brakes. My rule of thumb is basically look at what the downhill crowd used to ride a few seasons ago and get that, obviously it's good enough and not being in style anymore means it's cheap to obtain (typically).
Riding singlespeed means I'm a very adept trekker, important to have a good set of hiking boots.

Not sure about the issues, I have genuinely put in some effort to make it work and am continuing to do so. We will see.

Just came home from an evening cycle on the KM, the rear was gripping a bit better after solely using it when going downhill.

Now beer and tunes time!

Although I'm still happy with my first dabble with cable disc brakes (the BB7's). I have to say I've found modern Hope disc brakes (Tech 3/X2) pretty much fit & forget. My front needs a bleed after 5 years reasonable use which is a piece of cake to do. Pretty much the same with the old Mini's on my high mileage bike. The original overhaul of new seals & pistons was easy enough but satisfying & I've just had to bleed the rear after cutting the hose to transfer to another build - very easy. No harder than setting up some canti's.

Although I'm still happy with my first dabble with cable disc brakes (the BB7's). I have to say I've found modern Hope disc brakes (Tech 3/X2) pretty much fit & forget. My front needs a bleed after 5 years reasonable use which is a piece of cake to do. Pretty much the same with the old Mini's on my high mileage bike. The original overhaul of new seals & pistons was easy enough but satisfying & I've just had to bleed the rear after cutting the hose to transfer to another build - very easy. No harder than setting up some canti's.
My reluctance to use hydraulic brakes is probably rooted in laziness and unwillingness to succumb to change. No doubt that it's a powerful setup, but I always liked messing about with cables - when it works. In my head it's just less stuff can go wrong.

Glad to hear your BB7's are still doing the job. I am getting happier with TRP and once I've got the rear biting properly it should be on par if not a wee bit better than my rim brakes.

It is interesting to me, though, how varied experiences are. On countless forums you can find people who swear that hydraulics just don't do the job, and others stating that mechanical setups are about as good as a rim brake covered in olive oil. I guess we all stick to what we know best, and sometimes when we venture into unknown waters, we do it half arsed. Although I genuinely want to like discs, I just can't seem to get it right.

Thinky think make brain hurt, time to sip.

Back