Top End Scott Frames - factories and frame numbers

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am looking for some information on where the top end (steel) Scott frames were made.

I know a lot of their steel frames were made at Fairly and I've seen aluminium frames made at Hodaka.

There's evidence of a higher end frame made by A-Pro in 1991 here:
so that would have been Aymm xxxx frame number format

There's a 1992 Pro Racing frame number here:
Any ideas of the factory for a 91L xxxx format?

The 1994 Pro Racing and Team Racing appear to have a frame number format:
MT93xxxxxx
Does anyone know which factory used MTyy for their frame numbers? I would be very interested, because I suspect one of my unidentified frames is made in the same factory, for a brand other than Scott.

I have a Scott Team Racing early 1990s in Ultimate Ultralight tubing with 'A Pro' on the rear dropouts. Was that a fabricator's company name?
Sorry no serial number on the frame anywhere I can find. But clearly factory paint. I bought it from a so-called sponsored racer in Moab in 1992 or 3.

Do you have an idea about the supplier for the Lite Flite CrMo steel tubings that were used for the top end frames by mid 90's, replacing the Ritchey Logic Prestiges, previously used? Thanks!

sorry also immediately raising a question, just haven't noticed this thread earlier.

Does someone recognize the Scott bike below in the picture on the left side?
Scott Ritchey  aus Bike 1 1989.jpg

Scott "Ritchey" with Switchblade?
The pic was in an Bike mag from 1989.

sorry also immediately raising a question, just haven't noticed this thread earlier.

Does someone recognize the Scott bike below in the picture on the left side?
View attachment 763577

Scott "Ritchey" with Switchblade?
The pic was in an Bike mag from 1989.
double downtube bottle cage and tange prestige sticker would suggest it's a ritchey supercomp with a different fork

double downtube bottle cage and tange prestige sticker would suggest it's a ritchey supercomp with a different fork
Thanks a lot. That does make sense.
I was wondering also if there was some kind of official cooperation between Ritchey and Scott? Maybe the Scott label is just a sticker and has nothing to do with the bike? I somehow thought I have seen a similar Scott somewhere else.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. That does make sense.
I was wondering also if there was some kind of official cooperation between Ritchey and Scott. Maybe the Scott label is just a sticker and has nothing to do with the bike, I somehow thought I have seen a similar Scott somewhere else.
ritchey back then provided scott frame tubes and other bits (drop outs, headsets, seatposts etc.); I wouldn't be surprised if they also provided complete frames in the very early days

The 1994 Pro Racing and Team Racing appear to have a frame number format:
MT93xxxxxx
Does anyone know which factory used MTyy for their frame numbers? I would be very interested, because I suspect one of my unidentified frames is made in the same factory, for a brand other than Scott.
MTxxx is an unusual number. @fguki has a Team Marin from the same factory, https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/question-1994-marin-team-frs-frame-differences-anyone.454627

I'd be interested in any more examples if there are any.

Back