Today's Ride

I went and sent it again with the Cannondale in the local bike park and wasn’t satisfied, so I got the melon Marin out and also went to the beach. Swapped to flat pedals and took off the kickstand, proceeded to suffer climbing up sand for an hour.

Total ride distance and time today including the bit with the Cannondale is 38 miles, over 5 hours
IMG_2667.jpeg
IMG_2669.jpeg
IMG_2671.jpeg

30km of SS

662e38a2d420ff15b9ccaab6.jpg

Round 2 of the SWXC series on Sunday. The weather gods were shining on us, and rightly so after the wash-out slop-fest of round 1. Typical spring; in the sun, lovely, but chilly in the shade. A steady NWN breeze. Woody's bike park was the location, just outside Par near St Austell. It's a downhill bike park so for an XC race, each lap consisted of 2 hair-raising descents and 2 lung-busting climbs. Yours truly preferred the latter because the former is way outside my comfort zone.

That said, I was proud that I conquered my fear and by laps 3 and 4 I was rolling off 3 of the 4 drop-offs. Another lap and I'd have done the 4th one 🤣 #notlast is a thing and I finished (always the goal!) 16/19 in my class...15 mins behind 15th 🤣 The race environment is still very new to me and measuring my output is proving tricky. I had loads left in the tank but don't want to blow out half way through.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it and the atmosphere on course is great. Everyone is encouraging and even the pro's/whippets are down to earth and friendly. The next round is back at Grammercombe in a few weeks. Now I've ridden there I know what to expect which breeds a bit more confidence.

PXL_20240428_122652491.jpg

A LOT of elevation! Amazing location, to the left and out of shot there are some great sea views. I'll defo be back to practice...hopefully with an operating uplift service 🤣

PXL_20240428_125908193.jpg

This will be as close as I'll be to the pack. The chap in the pink helmet I pass and finish ahead of on lap 3. Also shout out to the chap in the tartan also on a Hei Hei 👍

randr-photo-12879166-4000px-by-luke-edwards-photography.jpg

On one of the B-lines, I've informed Kona of my sponsorship and expect a bounced cheque in the post any day now ;)

randr-photo-12875252-4000px-by-luke-edwards-photography.jpg

Almost at the top of the long second slog back up to the start/finish line. Slow and steady, in my zen place. 1997/98 shirt on a 2021 bike 👍

randr-photo-12877090-4000px-by-luke-edwards-photography.jpg

Shitting my pants at what's coming up 🤣😶‍🌫️ My lap times? 27 mins, 27 mins, 27 mins and you guessed it 27 mins. Reliably slow - that's me!

Back