Threaded Frustration

A steerer die is so cheap that all shops should have one. Even the Cycles tools are not that expensive to the trade. Cutting more thread is not an issue. It's not likely to go worng at all.

Send it to me if you really have trouble doing it or don't want to buy the tools yourself. I think it worth the investment in the tools if you are have bikes pre mid 90's.

elPedro666":2rog5nnb said:
Ahead all the way for me though, whenever the build will allow...

I'm reading this thread cos i have a 92 Khs Montana comp with a notchy headset that might benefit from being returned to its original rigid state and I've never replaced forks or headset before. I'm not going to be too precious about period correct as its for my brother who just wants a decent bike and my reading suggests that threadless will be easier and make fork choice less hit and miss. I think its 1" so do I just get a 1" threadless fork and headset and cut down if nec? Where el Pedro says 'where the build allows' is that aesthetics or mechanics? Any advice much appreciated!

Threadless is easier if you have an unyt steerer. If you by a s/h cut down steerer/forks then you will need careful measurements of your headtube + headset stack height + stem height to know if the cut steerer will work.

If a new fork no need to worry ust fit everything and then ut the steerer down as required.

Using a new fork with threaded steerer (they exist) is the same. as well.

Back