This place is bad for me.... shall I buy an early 90s Kona?

Air-cooled

Dirt Disciple
Have had lots of Cannondales late 90s, early 2000's. Some really cool projects inlcuding a drop couple of drop bar bikes with GRX. Always wanted a Marin from being a kid late 80s but only just bought one and love it.

Now after seeing pics of Konas and never having ridden one Im thinking about a project. Ive fallen for early 90s steel bikes with cantis and Konas look great!

This is lovely, any tips for a newbie?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Seems to be a lot of optimism in some sellers pricing on eBay at the moment, that Kila is lovely, but I wouldn’t pay that much for it.

Would be worth looking at actual sale prices rather than what people are asking. Some bikes keep going round and round again. If it hasn’t sold at “that” price the last six times, what makes you think it will this time? Always worth putting in a cheeky offer, worst they can do is decline.

I suspect some people are (still) trying to minimise their lockdown losses.

I won't comment on pricing, but rather, the model. Kiluea is the unsung gem in the steel Kona lineup. Great tubeset, usually available for less than the ultra desirable Explosif. In 98, they made one out of Reynolds 631, I'd wrestle a bear for one of those. If you feel the price is high, here's a bare frame for less, you'd never be able to build it for the price of the complete.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks all for the replies. I think I need one, hopefully they are fun to ride. I need to figure out if a 16 or a 17" frame is right for me.

I won't comment on pricing, but rather, the model. Kiluea is the unsung gem in the steel Kona lineup. Great tubeset, usually available for less than the ultra desirable Explosif. In 98, they made one out of Reynolds 631, I'd wrestle a bear for one of those. If you feel the price is high, here's a bare frame for less, you'd never be able to build it for the price of the complete.
That's the thing... It's all down to how much someone wants a particular bike and, if it is complete, how many of the components would you replace. If it's already got most of what you want, then it is a good deal compared to building up from a frame.

It’ll sell. I’m in no rush.

Tange prestige frame only can be £800 new now.
And just a decent paint job frame and fork plus transfers can cost almost 400.
And this is less than the most basic bike you might want to ride new.

So although you can sometimes find nice condition stuff cheaper than this, there's no good reason why it should be so cheap.
It's a bargain.
Buy Buy Buy😍

Back