The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

I sold my old Grado GS1000 and bought a pair of RS1's.. these sounded very warm and super-detailed, but being open backed, i was always a little disappointed with their lack of bass thump which my music really needs..

I recently bought a pair of Hemps.. i love the sound of these but the headband was shitty vinyl.. keeps the sandal wearers happy i suppose but it really cheapens them especially when my previous Grado's had a luscious lambskin leather headband

fullsizeoutput_3b4a.jpeg

I cut the vinyl headband^ off and sent them to a friend of mine who makes leather goods up in Arbroath..

He's used horsehide on the outer and a softer calfskin against the head.. i asked him to use purple thread to complement these Yaxi S cushions i've been using

fullsizeoutput_3cb6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3cba.jpeg

beautifully hand stitched
fullsizeoutput_3cbb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3cab.jpeg

..i've also got a set of cushions from Geekria.. these are the best sounding overall and certainly the most comfortable.. the F cushions they come with feel f'kin awful.. like they're pressing against the top of your ears
fullsizeoutput_3cc6.jpeg

.. ..i also kept a set of the Grado G cush from the GS1000s .. for that all encompassing soundstage
fullsizeoutput_3cb4.jpeg

I wouldn't have bought a Qutest for full RRP but i got it for an absolute bargain!.. i paid less than they sell for in used condition on ebay.

is the Chord going to be that much better than whats inside the Leak?

I'd say so.. the Chord is definitely a marked improvement on the already damn good DAC, i'm pretty chuffed with the way it's sounding.. I've had a silly grin on my face all weekend.

I suppose it's the same old Hi-Fi adage... you spend a few hundred quid getting a decent sounding system.. then in the years following, you spend an infinite amount of £££s making it sound incrementally better while your hearing gets incrementally worse. 😁

This......

The main job of a sound engineer at any live event is a pre-show sound check so they can set up the mixing desk to tune the sound to match the venue's acoustics. Give a sound engineer no way of adjusting the tone of his music and he'll tell you where you can stick your amplifier.

....in my opinion :)

It's either than or spend £10k+ on acoustic panelling :LOL:

Evening,
I have an old Hafler DH200 amp which keeps blowing one of the speaker fuses. Any ideas what might be causing this? Also any recommendations for somewhere I could get it serviced? It’s been gathering dust for a few years now due to this, which is a waste. I’ve had it paired with LS3s and it sounded better than many more modern (and expensive) amplifiers/ setups I have had.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3134.jpeg
    IMG_3134.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Morning Hi-Fi weirdos,

Can we have a little chat re- hi-res/cd quality streaming?

I can't be arsed to read all the bollox and you guys can cut through it..

20 years ago i had a great system with 2000+ CDs.. it was stacked on the floor because our living space used to be in the apex of the roof with beams and such .. my kid came along and as soon as he could crawl he was poking it.. but y'know it was on the floor, what did i expect. I wasn't listening to much music as I threw myself into fatherhood so i sold it off and put the CDs into storage in my folks attic... moved onto Limewire, PirateBay, Sounddocks..ect and downloaded 10,000+ tracks which are all now stuck on old ipods and the libraries are long gone on fried Macbooks or HDs.. all mp3 quality.

Over the last few years, as my kid has outgrown the desire to poke shit into my hi-fi.. i've started to build up another system.. out of the 2000+ CDs.. i've brought less than 200 of them home.. i'm still buying CDs and building playlists via 4K Downloader/Converter which is convenient but the quality is horrible so the next logical step would be hi res streaming?

We live in a mobile phone black hole so i only have a crappy iphone4, just because i have zero connection most of the time, although we do have amazing internet connection (150+ Mbps) via fibre/eero.. so i wouldn't want to use my shitty old phone as an interphase.. i assume i would use my macbook and build a library in lets say Tidal or Qobuz in the same way as i use itunes?

Here are my questions..
1) Would i plug my macbook via usb-a into the usb-b port on the back of my DAC?

2) What do music streamers (like this) do that my macbook wouldn't.. i assume i'm just moving the interphase from my laptop to a streamer so the laptop doesn't need to be plugged in.. if yes, why do some of them cost 1000s of £££s
Screen Shot 2023-12-24 at 11.42.54.png

3) Streamers with no screen like this Chord 2yu.. what do they actually do???
2g0_2yu_side1.jpg
Thank you!

Back