The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Aahh... the RB MM Music Hub - dates back to 2009. By 2011 things had started gettin' weird...

Attachments

• Mixed up bear.jpg
    Mixed up bear.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 151
hmmm...

Any recommendations for a decent Sub for my proper stereo? Mainly for films. the room is 6x3.5m, sony AV amp and a set of B&W 601.

Or if anyone has anything lying around...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That doesnt sound right - in the amps' set-up menu there will be the option to send the .1 LFE channel off to your main speakers

What amp is it? 5.1 surround runs at a higher quality than CD and normally a DVD / Bluray/ 5.1 film stream from Netflix / Prime etc will carry a shitload of bass unless you have The Sound of Music on repeat.

Soooo:

What amplifier is it

what are your viewing sources

how are they connected to your amp

Ta.

Sony STR DH550, it's 100% setup right. 2.0, Including the speaker levels and distances. it's set up purely in stereo as I've never been that interested in surround sound.

Sources are a Sky HD box & PS4, both directly into the Amp via HDMI, & a bluetooth 5.0 adapter Via RCAs for FLAC music.

Don't get me wrong the B&W sound superb, but they can't get 'low' like a sub can in during those cinematic moments. I want to shake my fillings out when I watch the Matrix :)

Your speakers are connected the right way round I hope, positive to positive and so on?

....and, I cant let this go, no surround when watching the Matrix??

Studios spend millions making the sound do what it does and it is genuinely 5.1 to 9.2 separate channels of information, a door opens behind you, you hear it behind you. Sounds of a housing estate in the rear channels whilst watching Pulp Fiction, helicopters swirling around during Apocalypse Now

Something still does ring quite right with your system though, it doesnt list it exactly but that amp should be about 60w for your 8 Ohm B&W. There may be an option to 'bi-amp' - it was an option for my STR-DH820, that will boost the listening volume by almost 10%

2 channels for film... Poor old Ray Dolby will be spinning in his surround sound noise reduced grave.

LOL, they are in phase, yes. No option to Bi amp on this one.

Honestly, I find surround distracting! probably because we don't have our furniture arranged in a way that's friendly to making it work. whenever we've tried, I've ended up with a speaker right in my ear, or another blocked by a bookshelf. I can set up stereo easier for a bigger sweetspot :)

Back