The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

I did a lot of work with d to a back in the dim and distant. There's only so much that can be done. The cd spinning part plays a big part, if that is full of errors, no dac can help

Is it just me or did CD players peak around 2006 and has sort of stayed pretty static since then?

I have a DENON 3900 and a 3930 and they sound really sweet - even compared to my Cambridge Audio 751....

Oh and while I have the cheese....

Those Mission 753s you blew the tweeters on... have you seen "the German fix" yet?
https://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/index.php ... &Itemid=82

Managed to blow a tweeter on one of mine - will let you know if it's a good fix or not. Parts on the way.

I have older 1980's machines that sound simply amazing when compared to later stuff. Bits back then were built mostly from audio specific transports/ components but in the mid 90's it was cheaper to produce players from PC components. CD seemed to peak around the late 1990's.

Into the 2000's - Ironically, software was found to improve the audio and video of digital products as new releases came along. Nowadays the industry is so small I doubt if there is anything that is specifically made for audio only anymore.

Will check out the German 753 'fix'. I've gone through 3 sets over the years...

legrandefromage":16x07lz2 said:
I have older 1980's machines that sound simply amazing when compared to later stuff. Bits back then were built mostly from audio specific transports/ components but in the mid 90's it was cheaper to produce players from PC components. CD seemed to peak around the late 1990's.

Into the 2000's - Ironically, software was found to improve the audio and video of digital products as new releases came along. Nowadays the industry is so small I doubt if there is anything that is specifically made for audio only anymore.

Exactly right. From around 2002 high-end CD players were largely using an ancient Philips Semiconductors VCD chip which seemed to be the preferred choice of player makers. We kept trying to withdraw the chip but enough orders woulds appear to keep it alive. There were three or four guys in the Southampton site who knew the full black art of CD system optimisation. Sadly the site closed over 5 years ago and now its a UPS depot. :(

A few bits to sell

Meridian 263 DAC £120 - cosmetically a little bit off, but sounds lovely
Audio Alchemy DDE V1.0 with Powerstation ONE power supply £55
4x3.5m runs of Linn K20 speaker cable. currently rigged for biwiring but needs reterminating because it looks like it was done by a chimp, £30

pics if you're interested

Any interest in a 1969 Ferograph 307 amplifier? Beautifully built, UK made and in very good condition.

£60 UK posted

Attachments

• ferrograph 307 flappen downen.jpg
    ferrograph 307 flappen downen.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4,573
  • ferrograph 307 flappen uppen.jpg
    ferrograph 307 flappen uppen.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 4,573
  • ferrograph 307 rear.jpg
    ferrograph 307 rear.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 4,573
Back