The Lightest Frame I've Owned

Re:

Scott Team Issue, Scandium 1150g. Stupid light frame and bike when built.8kg or so with SIDs.

TOMAS":1ijjxl54 said:
I think my Klein Attitude (later one) was around 1600g (obvs alloy)...

My 2001 model weighs about 1630g which is disappointing given the 5-6 year older brother Pulse weighs 100g less.

What did you do with your Klein Attitude? Xc or trail?

I'm torn between building up a flashy expensive Klein of moderate weight or a beat up GF Supercaliber (frame in OP) with older components for much cheaper and possibly lighter weight.

a fraction over 1400G

file.php

cce":3sqpgad2 said:
a fraction over 1400G

file.php

A Medium sized FAT Ti frame is ~ 150g heavier than this XLM but the tube walls are not so crazily easily dented ;) Steel FATs are almost 1lb heavier again for the same sized frame. Fillet brazed frames again add ~ 1/2lb to frame weight.

M-Power":1ycmlzsl said:
cce":1ycmlzsl said:
a fraction over 1400G

file.php

A Medium sized FAT Ti frame is ~ 150g heavier than this XLM but the tube walls are not so crazily easily dented ;) Steel FATs are almost 1lb heavier again for the same sized frame. Fillet brazed frames again add ~ 1/2lb to frame weight.

This was the only stratosphere-level frame I owned. It was utterly utterly brilliant *if* I was on my game. It always wanted to go faster. When I was fat and slow it felt all wrong.

npn":ulnetvcg said:
TOMAS":ulnetvcg said:
I think my Klein Attitude (later one) was around 1600g (obvs alloy)...

My 2001 model weighs about 1630g which is disappointing given the 5-6 year older brother Pulse weighs 100g less.

What did you do with your Klein Attitude? Xc or trail?

I'm torn between building up a flashy expensive Klein of moderate weight or a beat up GF Supercaliber (frame in OP) with older components for much cheaper and possibly lighter weight.

My Attitude only comes out every blue moon, like most of my Retros it get ridden lightly along canal toepaths, gravel tracks etc, for serious riding I'll always hop on a modern ride. In terms of weight/ride I find the 2 very different, the Klein is incredibly stiff... I like that for flat hardpack stuff to get the power down but anything else it would be rough going imo. Whereas 2 of the nicest bikes i've ridden were a Kona Cindercone from around '95 and also a '96 Saracen Tufftrax, maybe thats because that the era I first got into MTB as a teen?

Attachments

• 20190702_150852_resized.jpg
    20190702_150852_resized.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 652
  • 20190702_151036_resized.jpg
    20190702_151036_resized.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 652
Re:

Nearly forgot! I'm mid-way through building this DBR Axis TT ('94 I believe), which is bang on 1500g...

Attachments

• 20190731_164845_resized.jpg
    20190731_164845_resized.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 654
I assume someone of these lighter frames are for road bikes not mtb as I don't recognize them. I should've said "the lightest mtb frame I've owned"

The Klein is cool, though mine is I think newer and don't plan to ride it lightly... If I end up building it. Was just curious how it would do on the trail, not so much xc.

Latest posts

Back