The Great Glen By Water And Bike, There And Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to do this, and firing it back to next spring was to allow a groundswell.

It is not a hard do. Not at all.

Ness can be hard on the wrong day, but it is an easy do next to an average day out in the Pentland Firth, for example. Which happens to be the second 'roughest' water in the damn world.

Two waters I have spend many hours on. No one, least of all me, would be suggesting taking stupid risks.

However, there are times when stormy weather is unusual, and things are more predictable.

I'm interested, but I haven't done much paddling for the last 10 years. I was very skilful at the first half of an Eskimo roll. :)

I was talking about doing this just the other day, thinking it's about time I got wet again. Used to play in the surf in Oz and go visiting islands on Barrier Reef.

It will give me an excuse to build myself a boat. :)

Re:

Sounding better all the time ;)
I've got the canoe and kayak here Brian so anytime you want to go for a paddle or borrow either just give me a shout.
Gil might make us up some cool singlespeeder decals for the Old Town :)

Jamie

I'm very interested in this but would like more details...

I've cycled the GGW twice now - Corpach to 'Sneky Castle - both times over 2 days, 70 or so miles, comfortable, beer fueled and with little to carry as we B&B'd. Easy to do camping too. We always travel that way to avoid head winds but I guess we would switch directions to avoid that in the canoes (which would be worse).

I've canoed a fair bit but not great distances, what length would the canoe part be? 60 miles sounds a lot/hard work in 2 days but maybe I'm judging it wrong? I do generally open canoe with a double paddle, 30 miles a day sounds really tough going.

So:
Where are we cycling to and from, and what is the distance?
Where are we canoeing to and from, and what is the distance?

Re:

I adjusted my expectations to allow for novice paddlers, putting it back makes it possible for anyone interested to get their shizzle together before embarking on this.

It is not a hard do.

Open canoes are not the gear for a quick navi, so we are talking kayaks.

The idea was to have two teams in order to camp together at a mid way point, and to share the gear.
I.E. One lot are kayaking up to Inverness, while the others are cycling. Then we swap gear and one lot kayak back down while the others cycle.

Simple really.

I will be up in Caithness soon, so will hopefully catch up with Jamie and check out the surf on Dunnet beach.

If anyone wants to make this happen please throw in.

Re:

Again no real answers, not even TK's most recent ones, just a shifting of the goalposts.

Why the insistence on kayaks when the majority of posters on here say that they have open canoes and can paddle them OK and would be suitable for novice paddlers to share?
The amount of time involved in becoming competent enough to paddle kayaks on Loch Ness is way more than most on here, who would be relative novices, could be able to devote to it for a one off event.

Two teams starting at opposite ends? Meeting at mid-way point to camp and exchange gear ye say? So we wear other peoples canoe gear and/or bike gear/bikes? Or not? What do the folk on bikes do whilst they are waiting for the kayakers to arrive? You do know that the bikers will travel much faster than the kayaks? Will the mid-way campsite be reachable by kayakers in one day or 2? Has to be one day surely, so not half way then? Mind you, you did mention doing it in kayaks in 3 days but that's 2 overnights though.

Please answer without obfuscation.

"It is not a hard do." "Simple really."

Feck it, I'm calling troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back