The eternal sunshine of the spotless parts cupboard.

Thought i might give you an update as to the state of play in the grand clear out / up.

Well, the bench is now pretty bare, down to a few last items to move onto new homes.

The cupboard is fantastic, neat, clean, tidy, labelled, boxed.....

Ive recently shifted some more of my old old pre 89 kit...much came from a shop close down in 91.....that was hard! They made the cut 2 years ago, but this time i just had to be realistic as to if im going to really really use them.

I suppose the acid test was " do i want a bike with these parts on". Can i envisage me riding a "bitza" based on "whatever" frame with this type of set up.......No was the realistic answer.....so " why keep the parts" is the logical conclusion.

Oddly building the saracen conquest.... (in this months botm competition btw..cough cough).....really helped, we put a lot into it and it represents not only a great example, but very much scratches the itch for something prehistoric!

Even less reason to hang onto those parts now......So they are gone.....

Im not anti sentiment nor the attachment to " things" but as some point you have to cut the cord......before it strangles you!

Last edited:
We are now at a bit of a crossroads.

Whole bikes......we have 2 that we just dont use. Its annoying as I really love onenof them....its light (9.4kg), really chuckable and fast....but it kills me :LOL: .

Its now too small....no...well...its not shrunk...im too broken to ride it would be more accurate.

Pulling apart things you have taken time over building and dialing just right is a whole different level of pain imo.

But what do I do....hang it on the wall, keep walking round it....no.

I decided to put an advert up for the frame and forks, before dissembling it..that way at least i know it has a good home prior to stripping it. Its also kinda easier to cope with...in a box..gone...done...

Sadly, no interest yet......hummmm. so what to do.....the parts will sell with ease and to be honest with it broken up i can also sell all the 9 speed / x1 spares too!

But can i cope with seeing the frame all forlorn on the wall?

Watch this space....

Sounds like you're down to the nitty gritty, in terms of decision making? Fortunately I have loads of stuff I can happily get rid of before I get to the tough decisions!

We are now at a bit of a crossroads.

Its also kinda easier to cope with...in a box..gone...done...
I do this as well. Motivated by wanting to see a clean garage/area I can box things up that i’m not mentally ready to let go but that i haven’t used in ages or mostly that I think might be worth a few quid. Then when I realise I haven’t looked at them or missed them for a few weeks/months and that they are not actually worth 50p then I find it easier to let go or gift them on.

Out of sight out of mind.

Last edited:
Guys I think your almost through recovery ...

I think you could perhaps move into the big wide world of normal living....

Most if us are in denial or at best in acknowledgement of our addiction without a clear way out!!

Bars need to be pretty much dead level with saddle these days. I can get away with a 1" to 2" ish drop, for a couple of hours, but much more and im in pain for a few days after....its just not worth it.

Off road aggravates the issue due to the bumps...but then what do you expect when you have 2 vertebra basically welded together......to be honest im lucky to be walking.....let alone riding a bike....so i just get on with it, however i can and however increasingly weird the bikes look.! :LOL:

Off road aggravates the issue due to the bumps...but then what do you expect when you have 2 vertebra basically welded together......to be honest im lucky to be walking.....let alone riding a bike....so i just get on with it, however i can and however increasingly weird the bikes look.! :LOL:

I feel your pain. I herniated L5-S1 in 2009. Numbness to the bottom of my right foot. I was miserable for a long time. I was able to do rehab at the time and other than the occasional flair up every so often I'm doing well now. Honestly getting back into mountain biking may have saved me. I lost a lot of weight, got stronger and I'm motivated to stay in shape. A bouncy back end on the bike helps but really it was just being determined to get healthy.

Just wondering how all you fellow "clear out" buddies are getting on?

Weird how the worlds finances seem to not be assisting the process.....almost like its somehow ordained by a higher power!

Just wondering how all you fellow "clear out" buddies are getting on?
I took a truck load of "stuff" to the city dump. I have sold 3 bikes, a toddler car seat, a couple hoverboards that my teenagers no longer use and a few other things. I'm not there yet. It's coming along.

Back