One bike!? What is it?

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
As many of you know, I've been on a bit of a continuing mission to rationalise my collection of parts and bikes.

Parts, because I just had soooooo many I didn't actually know what I had any more; and bikes, as sadly im less able to ride some of the more extreme geometry stuff.

Oddly, the more that went, the more i enjoyed what was left....also I started to realise that a very few (2) are actually treasured possessions, bringing me joy on a number of levels.......the rest are interesting shed stuffing.

Its also made me think more and more about the concept of 1 ( yes ONE) bike....like many years ago...one bike and just use it for everything.

Ok, my riding is now far more pedestrian and that helps as clearly, if your jumping of cliffs in Utah, a Raleigh shopper ain't going to cut it. In the same way riding round on a full suspension 29er is not really useful in everyday riding....oh hang on....sorry to blow that marketing bubble for anybody🤣

Ive experimented a bit with stuff and built a couple of "trial runs" and learned a lot from both.

So my question is.....what's your one bike look like? And do you own it? And if not, why not?

My version 1 is below.....

20230504_100333.jpg

For me, it's always going to be something retro, mainly as the parts quality is better, I like steel frames and forks for the ride and I'm not done with 26" wheels yet......although getting frames the right size is now quite a challenge!

Oh and I still have bit of a stash of readily available parts..🤣

Realistically I should take one of my Bontys, fit it with my favourite parts, keep a few spares and call it a day, I won't though, not quite ready for that yet. 👍 😁

Im not advocating complete collection destruction.....don't panic!

Im not about to sell my 2 old pals down the river, but for day to day use, im certainly swinging towards, just 1 bike.

on one inbred.

it's been my do everything bike for a very long time, granted I've had a road bike or two in that time and plenty of other tat, but the inbred is the only one that's always been built and always been ready for a ride.

as a bike it's been a tourer, a trials bike, a jump bike. it's been rigid and suspended (right now at 140mm), it's been road tyre shod and 2.3" mud plugger shod, it's had flat bars and risers, long stems and short. it's done a ton in a day and it's blasted down and up dales and hills. it's also, only ever had 1 gear. :O it's light, it's nimble, it rides well and other than honking brakes (can't be helped, reckon the rear mount it toed in) it's always been a pleasure to ride.

5523358533_7fddd49cb0_o.jpg
20230906_162554.jpg

Day to day, comfort over anything else. None of us are getting any younger.

My singlespeed retro P7 is fabulous, close to a "do everything" bike - but the riding position is reasonably aggressive, and outside the flatlands of Essex would be a chore. Back home on the South Downs I'd struggle.

Retro brings a simplicity and longevity of components (apart from the boutique CNC stuff made out of cheese).

I have a clockwork that is currently on a trainer stand for the winter. Silly long rigid forks and a high stem with riser to get it to sit up and beg. Looks ridiculous - but soooo comfy. Nothing matches as it's a parts bin build. LX/XT from the late 90's still works perfectly when fettled, and it's steel so comfy. It'll take a rack (when that time comes). What more do you want?

My modern P7 is great fun for what the mid-school in the 2000's would have called "freeriding" - we would have called it "dicking around" but it's heavy and a bit of an effort.

I am on the same path as you Tootyred, albeit a little bit further back. I've narrowed it down to the 2 types of riding I do and 2 bikes that could do that.

Next I have to decide if I'm ever going to do any full touring which will help.

Back