The death or birth of retro bikes?

My_Teenage_Self":2kdq8995 said:
sinnerman":2kdq8995 said:
My_Teenage_Self":2kdq8995 said:
*load of old waffle*

Agreed.

BUT- saying a Splatter Kona is Not a Jackson Pollack, is blasphemy...…. :shock:

Take him away, burn him at the stake, Stone him...., Ive never heard such nonsense.... ;)

Bwaahahahaa!!

Okay, I'll concede that a splatter paint Kona *is* a work of art :)

*edit*

The valves on that Explosif don't line up with the tyre logos = not art, just a bicycle!

:LOL: :LOL:

I should be burned at the stake myself... :oops:

I genuinely think there is a solution to be had here, a way to almost future proof not only this website, but the market for old/retro/vintage bicycles, a way to keep interest alive for old and new bicycles-all of which end up retro.

Im sensing a feeling of despondency from FaceBook fans who use this site, Im sensing some have tried to form a co-operative to purchase the site, either for profit or too inject a new lease of life...? I dont know.

But I do think there is a way to do it, FWIW.

Despite my lack of Love for companies like the "Pros-Closet", I actually think that they would be best placed to invest further into a Market they are already in.

I dont feel the tact they have used to promote there wears on this site and others like it have been in good form, despite there collections and use of terminology like Museum etc. Even though its an astounding collection of bicycles, and a collection to be proud off.

Given the Market is Changing, Given the constant turbulence within the bicycle industry, I would have thought investment by a company like the "PROS CLOSET" would actually go a long way to future proofing there already lucrative business model.

They are perfectly placed to achieve buying RETROBIKE, and with Care grow there market and the website with it.

Not only do they have a vested interest in vintage bicycles, they are actually retailing, new bicycles that are old stock, end of line, Overage stock etc etc etc.

For what I consider a nominal amount of money they could indeed Purchase the RETEOBIKE FORUM and be perfectly placed to market RETROBIKE/THE PROS CLOSET/MUSEUM etc etc etc.

The Funds are there, The Forum whilst currently UK based, doesn't need to be, THEY have the I.T staff to manage and to grow the platform, they have access to the U.S market which is an untapped source on the great scheme of things when compared to other forum platforms, there is little or no competition for the Retrobike market.

And they would Have the "Right" Brand Name for future proofing Every thing they are currently doing in the bicycle market place, why..? because every bike they sell will become RETRO.

If they had any sense at all, they would get straight on the phone to John, and make him a sensible offer, if they really wanted to get serious, then the first thing I would do in that position would be to give Charlie Kelly a Call, and hammer out a deal? donation? Call it what you will, to help fund the digitalisation of the History of Mountain Biking. IF such a donation could lead to RETROBIKE being the permanent archive for all of Charlie KELLYS stored history and Knowledge, the Pros Closet/Charlie Kellys Archives and RETROBIKE would be future proofed.

It would add a new dimension to all companies involved, it would be profitable and sustainable for a long time to come.

Im confident with the set up the Pros-Closet has, the worldwide location of the company, the funding, and the nominal amount of money required to achieve the end result, there isn't anyone else better placed to take RETROBIKE to new heights, imagine if this site could host the archives of Charlie Kelly and had the manpower to add new value and encourage new members.

Just a thought.

I don't think Jackson P would have lost any sleep if his valves weren't lined up with the logos. That ain't art, it's just being neat and tidy. His paintings are from the 40's and 50's, that predates splatter paint on bikes by quite a margin, industrial accidents notwithstanding..

Should have added that I did a splatter paint job on my Raleigh Montage back in '91. Four shades of green, plus silver. It came out alright, but was it art? Nah.. Just an improvement on Raleigh's 'orrible pale blue..

Some one needs to send an email to the PROS-CLOSET and Charlie Kelly...!

Ah, Charlie Kelly.. Isn't he a clapped out 60-something hippy, bouncing happily towards oblivion, surrounded by old bikes? Or is that just me?

lensmansteve":2i81q2rv said:
Ah, Charlie Kelly.. Isn't he a clapped out 60-something hippy, bouncing happily towards oblivion, surrounded by old bikes? Or is that just me?

I think its you.... ;) , hes trying to achieve the impossible at the moment, and if he succeeds we will all benefit from all the effort and hard work...!

I'm all for that.. Glad to hear he's still active. You can't take much for granted once you're past 60..
Are you hinting about summat relating to the site? I know you do a lot on here, starting threads etc.- Good on ya..

Re:

Charlie is on this site.

Not sure I necessarily see the advantage/or want the site to end up in the hands of the Pros Closet....quite happy in the current closet.

This has been explored and discussed (very recently)...the owner doesn't want to sell...their prerogative. I completely agree some investment wouldn't go amiss, even just simple updating.

I find FB about the most frustrating and useless bit of media about. Fine if you want to post pics of bikes (or what every it might be) never to be found again. Useless as a historical tool for exchanging information and searching, but then I'm a Luddite and probably using it wrong....that why I still uses 26" wheels and long stems!!! :facepalm:

Back