Tech Nova Pro

jorgos

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

bought a Tech Nova Pro mtb, mainly for spare parts. I searched the internet for more info and found one link tot the mtbr forum with some info but that's it. It seems this brand has never existed. It was a rebrand from Cycletech and popped up in buyers guides around '90.

Is there anyone who knows this brand and can tell me something about it? It seems to be a pre 90's bike with XT shifters and deore front and rear mechs.

Any catalog/buyers guide info would be nice. I'm just curious.

I'll try to post some pics later.

Thanks,

J.

Tech Nova Pro 1982 Retro Bike

I bought and sold many of these bikes at our shop in Alberta. Cycletech Canada was a growing parts and accesories company out of Calgary. They got into bicycles in about 1982 with the Tech Nova at $549 and the Nova Pro at $750. When you compared the Tech to the Japanese gold standard Miyata Ridge Runner at the time, the Taiwan built Tech had nicer components throughout and was $150 cheaper. Tech grew for about a decade until all of the Japanese brands moved production to Taiwan and then China. As with most brands Tech had its's downfall after the principles of the company got out of the buiness with lots of money and the staff left could not keep it fresh and new. jim@alpenland.ca

Attachments

• Dec 23 002.jpg
    Dec 23 002.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 3,855
NIce addition to the apparantly slightly unknown Tech brand in Europe Jim! We know Cycletech but the Tech brand seemed not to be touching ground.

Thanks for the pictures. Could you add more?

Your Tech Nova Pro looks just like my Centurion Starlight which was a brand name of Western States Imports (WSI) of California I believe. In turn the bike also looks like an early Diamondback Apex which was also from WSI. I think they were probably all made in the same Japanese factory ;)

Tech Nova Pro...I have an original Tech Nova Pro that I have owned since new ..I purchased this bike here in NZ in 1984..I can,t tell you much about the manufacture of these bikes as there seems to be very little information about them...my Nova Pro still bears the manufactuer decal indicating that it was "made in Japan" I originally used the bike to tour NZ on..having fitted road tyres and pannier bags..I also took the bike to Australia in 1985 and toured Queensland. I returned to NZ in 1986 and toured Banks Penninsula on many weekend rides from Christchurch. I,ve kept my Nova Pro in excellent condition and have used it regularly over the years as a recreational and commuter ride. I still use the bike often and these days it attracts quite a bit of attention because it now looks just so "old school"..none of the components have ever failed and it is still in original condition, I have of course had to replace worn cables, tyres and drive chain and I replaced the original Bio Pace crank set with Deore LX.

Attachments

• 1retrobike.jpg
    1retrobike.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 3,176
Yes, the Nova Pro is a really nice bike. I bought mine as a used one in 1996 and used it regularly until January 2014! It never let me down. :cool:

Unfortunately I moved on to something more modern and are selling my beloved Nova Pro. :cry:

cheers
Lars

Attachments

• TechNovaPro.jpg
    TechNovaPro.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 2,748
I just remembered I have one of those Novas. Cantis, 1" head tube, Tange MTB so I'm guessing 91-92ish.

A1624113-941E-48C5-8731-BD8E6DDF48E6-4531-0000028C790EB2AD_zpsd0d57d8c.jpg

Tech was somewhat popular in Canada, though certainly not to the same level as Norco or Rocky. But given how rare they are now, they must not have been as popular as I thought.

A friend of mine still has a Tech he bought in 1992. I've forgotten the model name, but I know it was made from Tange Ultimate Ultralite. He broke it at the seattube, had it repaired, and still rides it from time to time.

I think he's due to bring it over and get a proper restoration done.

Anyway, I bought a severely used Pro SL three years ago and sold it at a bike swap.

I had to get very creative to make the seatpost work, and everything else was just what I happened to have lying around.

I saved this piece from it;

Attachments

• tumblr_m3scbnmTkf1qkekkro1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m3scbnmTkf1qkekkro1_1280.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 2,678
  • 20140121_213214.jpg
    20140121_213214.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,677
A while ago I had a bit Younger Tech frame (94 or 95 from memory):

tech1.jpg

tech3.jpg

tech4.jpg

tech5.jpg

as graphics saids - it's canadian trademark, my frame was qiute lightweight (under 2,0kgs), niice welded, witg nice dropouts

Latest posts

Back