Team Avalanche

So what would be a good price for this?
Any input is appreciated, I could put it in the right thread?
I see it's up for €220 or offers.

A handful have come up on eBay UK, can't remember the exact prices, but they were in worse condition than that one, but sold not much over £150 to about £200??? I may be mistaken. They weren't quite complete bikes, but not very original and missing key GT parts.

I guess if you could get it for £150 that would be great, but I'm not sure the seller would drop that low. It will be all down to interest and how quick a sale they want. Looks to be in good nick apart from some areas of paint loss and you can get good replacement decals off a seller on eBay.

It's a Japan build Tange Concept frame & forks and has:
Original forks
Original Stem
Original U-brake
Original cross-over cable guide for U-brake
Original seat collar

Great basis for a nice build!

So what would be a good price for this?
Any input is appreciated, I could put it in the right thread?
IMG_1756.jpeg
I paid £150 for one that looked like this...but then I had already drunk too much wine and felt that I had to be the one to save it...

All the original parts were there (apart from the saddle that had been even by rats) The only salvageable parts were the frame, fork, stem, Araya RM17 rims and the crank arms...

...plus even those took some saving!

I guess it depends how much you want one...But knowing how many hours I spent sorting the frame out I would say €200 for one in good condition would be worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in @PhillB ! I knew you got one from eBay, but couldn't recall the cost. I do remember it needed a lot of Phill magic to get it back in a presentable state though!

These GT's are certainly not light, but rock solid. AND gorgeous paint jobs for mass production frames.

Thanks for chiming in @PhillB ! I knew you got one from eBay, but couldn't recall the cost. I do remember it needed a lot of Phill magic to get it back in a presentable state though!

These GT's are certainly not light, but rock solid. AND gorgeous paint jobs for mass production frames.
It's interesting as there is quite a lot of variation, depending on the tubing.

My 1990 Team Avalanche is 12.81kg, the 1991 TA is heavier at 13.22kg - both Tange prestige

Compare that to 1990 Karakoram 13.87kg (regular flavour Tange)

And then probably my favourite 1992 Karakoram 12.09kg Tru Temper GTX

(I know I'm sad, but it was raining and my wife bought one of those luggage scales)

It's a Japan build Tange Concept frame & forks and has:
Original forks
Original Stem
Original U-brake
Original cross-over cable guide for U-brake
Original seat collar

Great basis for a nice build!

I guess it depends how much you want one...But knowing how many hours I spent sorting the frame out I would say €200 for one in good condition would be worth it.

Problem with this frame is several.

I'm not rebuilding it but it will be butchered into a utility bike, also not sure if the 20" frame has a long enough top tube for me.
The paint is too nice, as I will be welding some things on the frame.
All the other bits are useless to me as I won't use them and will never use them.
Still thinking the 22" frame would be a better fit, longer top tube but it's hard to make a decision on that as I have no numbers on any of the frames other then C-T.

Seller did come back to me about postage, it's cheap and he will post if asked.
I need to get back to him today and not sure what to do still. hmm.

Problem with this frame is several.

I'm not rebuilding it but it will be butchered into a utility bike, also not sure if the 20" frame has a long enough top tube for me.
The paint is too nice, as I will be welding some things on the frame.
All the other bits are useless to me as I won't use them and will never use them.
Still thinking the 22" frame would be a better fit, longer top tube but it's hard to make a decision on that as I have no numbers on any of the frames other then C-T.

Seller did come back to me about postage, it's cheap and he will post if asked.
I need to get back to him today and not sure what to do still. hmm.
Had a quick look in the archive at the GT catalogues and it's amazing they only state the seat tube size and nothing else! 🤷‍♂️ I was pretty sure they had that somewhere? I guess you could do what I did when I was younger and measure with a rule a known length and use this to calculate the rest of the dimensions of the bike. I did this to work out what a 16" GT looked like as they only really ever showed 18" and above sizes in their catalogues.

Good luck making a decision. I might be interested buying the stem off you if you didn't want it! 😜

I did a quick measure and got this:

Known dimension: Seat tube (centre to centre) 20" (508mm)
Top tube (centre to centre) 23.5" (597mm)
Chainstay 17.5" (445mm) these stays are longer than my 16"?
Stem length 5.4" (135mm)

Back