legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
The Fisher is functional but just a bit dull

whereas the Marin encapsulates the late 90's mtb spirit and is as daft as a brush but needs allsorts

but

which to keep...?

Attachments

• supercalliber.jpg
    supercalliber.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,122
  • DH FRS.jpg
    DH FRS.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,122
Re:

Depends what you'll be using it for as they are two completely different bikes........ Really is apples & oranges as far as intended usage goes.

Not a fan of GF on the whole, but it is complete and built as should, so only you can decide if you like the ride.

The Marin has a place in my heart having owned a Team Marin DH complete factory spec bike when it first came out in '98..... Damn that thing was a head turner with the red biguns, X-Vert Carbon fork and Hope discs, and yes the Marin is nice to ride! However the example you have there is somewhat confused as to what it is supposed to be..... It appears to be a DH frame trying to be a Mount Vision with XC shocks and travel? The frame was designed around a 150mm fork, and a coil shock giving approx 160mm....... This one has (iirc) an 80mm fork and an RP3 giving who knows what..... I'm also a little confused by the swingarm as it has I.S tabs like an XC Marin or possibly a '99 B17, whereas the DH version had the post mount and adaptor for a number 1 caliper (Hayes fit?), So maybe it's a DH front end bolted to an XC swingarm and hance the XC shocks....... So maybe not apples & oranges afterall, more apples & pears?

Personally I'd build the Marin but with a different fork, If you don't want to go triple clamp, at least a 140/150mm Bomber or if you're feeling brave something like a Pace RC41 150mm.

What's the eye to eye & stroke on that rear shock? The Original Fox Vanilla TC was 200 x 57mm iirc.

The swing arm is original, it had a disc tab added.

The forks are just forks that match in colour. The shock is 200mm whereas the Mt. Vision is 165 and hiding in the shed.

The Marins are both old and a bit tired and I need some decent disc wheels first before I do anything more.

TeamDH001.jpg

file.php

Re:

The catalogue bike is the exact one I had.... Many happy days on that!

Yeah I know the difference between the models, but unfortunately from a pic its hard to tell exact measurements and hence the question re shock length, So if it is 200mm eye to eye then it definately needs a longer fork!

With regard to the swingarm, you say the I.S mount was added? So what happened to the original post mount and adaptor or did it not have one?

Re:

This is how it looked before LGF got his hands on it. the post mount was removed and the is mount added as it is difficult to find the adapters nowadays. The bike rode really well with 120mm forks. it was a good all rounder set up like this and kept up with the best of the new stuff.

Attachments

• 51883560_10217486493214864_7664988525535690752_n.jpg
    51883560_10217486493214864_7664988525535690752_n.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,025
Tell tale!

Until the Fisher has a new hub or wheelset, it will be the mishmash Marin as soon as I can get it built (with longer forks)

Re:

From the pictures the GF seems to have a longer top tube which I feel would be an improvement in the ride.
Trek shaved a few pennies by not fitting bearings in some of their FS frames and used something less sensible instead. If this is the case with yours I would stay with the Marin as it is a well known and liked product on here.
On the other hand be different.

Latest posts

Back