Suntour XC Pro rear hub sizing help please

Vinevo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
I need an XC Pro rear hub that takes a Powerflow 8 speed cassette.

I have two XC Pro hubs currently, neither correct.

Both have 135mm spacing between nuts, for 135mm drop out width frames.

One has a cassette body width of 25mm, which allows the fixed block of 6 gears on but not the last two (6 speed hub?).

The other has a cassette body width of 30mm, which allows the block of 6 gears on plus the two gear nut piece, problem is the two gear piece even when tightened on protrudes further than the axle nut, see pics, so can't be fitted to the frame. Is this a 7 speed hub? I really thought this was the one I needed, the seller was sure it was an 8 speed hub.

Pics coming, thanks for your help! Ash.

Attachments

• IMAG4860-1.jpg
    IMAG4860-1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,540
Bigger hub pics.

Attachments

• IMAG4984-1.jpg
    IMAG4984-1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,540
  • IMAG4983-1.jpg
    IMAG4983-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,540
  • IMAG4982-1.jpg
    IMAG4982-1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,540
  • IMAG4981-1.jpg
    IMAG4981-1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,540
  • IMAG4980-1.jpg
    IMAG4980-1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,540
Your first hub is MOST probably a seven speed Microdrive hub, the second one a generic standard 7speed. You need an 8speed MD hub to utilize an MD 8speed cassette.

a picture of all three species of hubs to visualize the differences:

6559465159_995dcb0e86_b.jpg

© euphras

Rule of thumb: every time you see a rubber seal at the drive side on the outside of a Suntour hub it gotta be an MD hub. :)

As said above the first is 7's MD, I have a ruined one of these in my garage and the second is a 7's powerflow. The MD's have the last two sprockets that joined with the 2nd to last screwing onto the freehub body and the last sprockets screwing on to that and overhanging the body, On I believe only a 135mm spacing the non-Md powerflow 7's takes a regular cassette where only the last sprocket screws on and was available in both 130 and 135mm spacing (I am running mine on 130mm).
the freehub bodies are interchangeable on XC Comp and Pro, with the 10mm allen key going through from the non-drive side. I changed my 7's MD to 7's non-MD.

Carl.

Right, so it looks like I have a MD 7 speed hub and a standard 7 speed hub and what I actually need is a MD 8 speed hub so I can fit my 8 speed Powerflow cassette, correct?

The aim here is to run 1993 Suntour XC Pro Micro Drive 24 speed groupset.

Thanks for help, Ash.

Vinevo":u2ih0xht said:
Right, so it looks like I have a MD 7 speed hub and a standard 7 speed hub and what I actually need is a MD 8 speed hub so I can fit my 8 speed Powerflow cassette, correct?

Yep.

2 weeks ago I would have torn your arm off for that 7's regular hub but I got one elsewhere.

Carl.

Vinevo":nxwl3jfb said:
and what I actually need is a MD 8 speed hub so I can fit my 8 speed Powerflow cassette, correct

Thanks for help, Ash.

You can easily exchange the freehub rotor, so if you have an 8speed XC somewhat and an 7speed XC Pro hub you can interchange them. Look out for XC Expert hubs, they were only produced as 8 speed MD hubs. One guy in the german bay sells 8speed XC Comp hubs, another chance to swap your XC Pro 7s into 8s.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/150723259083?ssP ... 1438.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
and things I've popped up before in other threads but will link to my attachments :)

suntour_spline_826.jpg

So yes, yes top one 7-MD and the other 7-Standard from your rulers.

FluffyChicken":fvghrd0k said:

What are those specs in the third row? 8 speed non-MD was only available for the Superbe and SL road race group and those hubs had an overlocknut dimension of 126 or 130 mm iirc.

Back