Sugino impel ring bolt removal help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, while the design of having one ring bolt behind the arm looks good, it's of no help at all if you want to remove the bolt and it just spins. There is no room to get a tool in behind and into the two grooves so I'm a bit stuck, rather like the bolt.

Any ideas?

So, while the design of having one ring bolt behind the arm looks good, it's of no help at all if you want to remove the bolt and it just spins. There is no room to get a tool in behind and into the two grooves so I'm a bit stuck, rather like the bolt.

Any ideas?
Ah yes, I know this one. Many, many moons ago I used a very small high quality flat screwdriver, jammed into the lock grooves. I soaked the bolt with Plus Gas prior to this and all came apart OK.

Ah yes, I know this one. Many, many moons ago I used a very small high quality flat screwdriver, jammed into the lock grooves. I soaked the bolt with Plus Gas prior to this and all came apart OK.
I remember doing something very similar to this when I encountered the same problem.

I used to use the screwdriver trick too, now I have a chainring bolt tool but the type that is a flat piece of metal with the ends bent 90', not the T handle type

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yes, one like that. I don't think mine is Shimano, I might even have filed it down to fit, I've had it for ages
I’ve adjusted and made quite a few tools - seal pullers from carefully shaped and flattened wire, a thing made from a spoke for poking the release button on the new generation of Shimano brake levers etc

I can confirm the Shimano tool does fit. Bloody awkward design though; chances are any after-market big ring with
a small peg to stop the chain slipping and jamming between the crank arm will not line up.

Thanks, I'll try the tool I have. I didn't think it had a hope of fitting in the gap, but maybe it will if I align the notches.....

Well, the bad news is my tool didn't fit, however having the tool to hand allowed me to get the other bolt out that didn't come naturally, after which I could push the chainring down and the other bolt just unscrewed so happy days.

Treated the rings to a clean and it's all come up a treat.

Attachments

• PSX_20220524_000543.jpg
    PSX_20220524_000543.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 7
Back