Stuck/fused pedals. What’s the solution?

Clean enough for some Jam & Jerusalem stickers

Oh Jeez! I thought about a gentle start on my 93 Team Marin yesterday: thought I’d just remove the pedals to make it easier to store. One broken Allen key later. and a failed plusgas overnighter, I alighted on this thread. Last time I had this I impaled a finger on the chainring so I’m learning. Looks like a long road ahead. Well done HM.

Oh Jeez! I thought about a gentle start on my 93 Team Marin yesterday: thought I’d just remove the pedals to make it easier to store. One broken Allen key later. and a failed plusgas overnighter, I alighted on this thread. Last time I had this I impaled a finger on the chainring so I’m learning. Looks like a long road ahead. Well done HM.
I feel your pain. Do nothing until the rings are off. So much safer. And less sweary

Yes they’re still off. The bars were the only way I could avoid making it look ridiculously non race focused with risers.

A little agitated today as we've just put in an application for a rescue labrador so retreated to the shed for some stress relief. After selecting yet another set of bars for the Andy Powell. I sat in my campaign chair listening to the gentle patter of angel tears on the shed roof. No, not tears but whispers........ mocking my pathetic attempts to remove a small insignificant pair of pedals. So, I thought about the sage advice on the previous pages and set to the task at hand. First I removed the pedal bodies which involved sawing through the cage tops and bending them back to access the caps and bearings. Once removed I placed to spindles in my engineer's vice, used my full body weight to tighten the jaws and then began to heat the arm.

Once the smell subsided i began to select a suitable implement " Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it and i'll move the world" - "but not if I have to stick to what I can find in your shed." So said Aristotle Onassis when Jackie asked him to remove the lid from the pickled onions on christma eve 1974. Or was it Archimedes?

So leverage failed. Despite my bulk and a three ft tube. So. How hard can you hit a crank arm? Well the answer is hard enough!!!!!! :p There was no crack or pop, just an imperceptible movement after a number of swings and solid contacts. Then a little more.... and more......

I ended up using a soft hammer and turning the spindle in the vice to obtain the perfect strike angle.

Success. I achieved a quarter turn. Reheated the pedal arm and refitted the tube and on swinging from it and almighty graunching groaning noise resonated through the wooden building, summoning a distant humpback from the deeps. It was more akin to the ecstatic roar of a climaxing wildebeest by the end of the rotation.

Well dear reader, this continued for about half an hour a side eventually becoming easy enough to turn by hand.

So, draw file glass paper combo? Thanks for all the hints and tips guys.

View attachment 570085View attachment 570086
Awesomeness personified for relentless persistence if nothing else!
I bought a cheap unloved Giant Peloton at the start of lockdown with the aim of turning it into a winter flat bar commuter (gravel / grit bike in youffspeak).
The RSX groupset was all sound & the Alex rims still freely spun longer than the 8 minute version of Purple Rain (random test after too much Jaipur consumption) so I was all excited at only having to source 8 x 2 integrated shifters and a bit of housekeeping.
Cue stuck pedals & seatpost.
Serious lessons learned, and 2 things I now check before any bike purchase!
17 months of similar trials to yours gleaned nothing. I even bought a scorpion saw to cut through just the internal seatpost within the frame.
Sadly the frame got sold for scrap last month, and I only managed to salvage the toestraps and chain rings from the crankset & pedals.
I eventually found a modern Viking bike going cheap locally with it's standard awful components, but a perfectly good steel frame with lower rear stays allowing for nice meaty tyre clearance.
Fully stripped down to just frame, forks, aheadset and BB.
So the super smooth trusty Prince beating Alex / RSX rims & Schwalbe 700 x 38c, & all the other perfectly good RSX stuff got fitted on it instead of all the cast iron & Tourney junk. Just under 2kg lighter too.
It didn't quite end up the mildy modified retrobike I planned, but I spent almost a year and a half trying different things to save what I could, learning a lot, & only occasionally bleeding.
The RSX drop levers, plus the saddle, stem & bars got sold on for other projects.
It did still end up a winter commuter (not grit / gravel bike), & can decide in next week or so if it will replace the Trex FX 7.2 I bought last winter whilst wasting about £75 on plethora of lubricants attacking the reluctant Peloton 7200.
The Giant is dead... long live the Viking.

I once knew a dachshund who would rather drown than let go of a stick....

...give me a seized crank, a stuck pedal or a really locked locknut ... and boy will I not let go until it does ....

Back