Stuck bb help

I can put quite a lot of torque on them with a 24inch breaker bar and leaning on the stays.

If you donald duck the splines, the fastest way to get the BB out is probably to remove the ledge
that holds the bearing, then pull the bearing out. A die grinder and slot drill or burr is the easiest
way to do this. Once the BB bearing is out of the way, you can split the threaded sleeve with a
saw to get it out.

I did make a sort of holesaw that machines the ledge away, it was driven with a cordless drill, but
it wasn't as fast as using a die grinder. There is probably an annular cutter just right for this.

I removed an avalanch[?] bottom bracket, that an LBS had messed up and probably still have pics
which might explain how I attacked it.

If you do get to the unfortunate stage of having wrecked the teeth/splines, don’t give up, all is not lost although the BB will be.
My Antaeus had a shredded BB before I got it (& probably before LGF & Longun had it as well)
I tried everything and eventually gave up on saving the BB. I ended up drilling into the main body from the drive side then hitting the axle with a hammer.. :shock: all very scary but got there in the end!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=389041&start=10

Attachments

• BFC2F304-3DEB-48B1-8FF9-DEF2F0D7E0DB.jpeg
    BFC2F304-3DEB-48B1-8FF9-DEF2F0D7E0DB.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 145
Re:

Thanks, still soaking at the moment. Have managed to resist my impatient urges. I hope I don't have to go down the chopping and hammering route.

I was a bit neater, infact I was able to reuse the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• bb-offendingitem.jpg
    bb-offendingitem.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 132
  • bb04.jpg
    bb04.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 132
  • bb02.jpg
    bb02.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 132
  • bb01.jpg
    bb01.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 132
integerspin":c7amq14b said:
I was a bit neater, infact I was able to reuse the bottom bracket.

Ahhh, but did you enjoy it as much? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Quick check, still stuck. May have to invest in some proper penetrating fluid. Is plusgas the tool of choice?

Buy a m8 x 1 bolt to put through the extractor anyway. It saves sheared teeth, torn knuckles and dented frames, when the whole assembly of spanner, tool and frame decides to move.

The bolts are readily available from any good fixing store for 50p. Put a washer on it first and make sure its got 1/4 turn of slack to get the bb started.

Soak everything for a long time first as they all say

Right - also had a think. BB’s often corrode in place if the BB was installed without enough anti-seize AND the drain hole gets blocked or the frame doesn’t have one.

1 just the BB swelling a bit because of corrosion
Remedy - get some lubricant in there, torsional energy (swing on it) after using heat

2 galvanic corrosion also can occur where insufficient grease has been used - see
http://ascjournal.com/down/vol10no2/vol10no2_6.pdf
Even with Ti - in fact it accelerates corrosion in steel - and the metal side of a Shimano BB is steel.
Remedy - break the bond so that there are some fractures to get lubricant in which means torsional energy followed by soaking, in a cycle. Heat helps. Then lots of torsional energy.

Back