Stuck bb help

Re:

I had a thought... if it is an alloy BB cup, maybe heat would make it more difficult to get out if hot as it’ll expand more than ti :?

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2f2a4tcl said:
I had a thought... if it is an alloy BB cup, maybe heat would make it more difficult to get out if hot as it’ll expand more than ti :?

quote="d8mok"]I may be wrong but I thought heat on a titanium frame wouldn’t help.[/quote]

Yep !

In a similar situation. Son borrowed an electric impact driver for me but didn't have the bit to fit my Park BB tool. We left BB to soak for a few days, tried an extender bar on the big adjustable & tried the tool in the vice trick. Non worked. Vice may have worked if the bench was a bit more solid but it is what it is. With plastic non-drive side cups like the one stuck in mine I usually take the drive side out first but as it was stuck I tried the plastic cup so I could get some more penetrating oil onto the other side. It just crumbled leaving loads of plastic. I took it down to the local garage. We whacked the BB tool with a manual impact driver a few times & then got a big socket & long bar on the bolted in BB tool & it slowly came undone. Worth the price of a pint & no LBS walk of shame.

Re:

Gave it another try, neither side budged at all. Added more penetrating fluid. Will leave until Sunday before having another go.

I'm in no rush, would rather it came out without having to resort to more brutal methods. The frame is too nice to risk it.

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":urltrhds said:

You are right, but differential expansion and contraction helps break the bond between the two - in this case the inner contracts on cooling and may separate.

Latest posts

Back