Stuck bb help

Quenching in a bucket of cold water full of ice cubes might help with the shock treatment, worked on a seat post I did recently, although I didn’t realise at the time.
I’d heated it up then cold quenched the post with seemingly no result, put the post in soak again (plus gas) but I’d already decided I was going to cut it out the next day. In the morning I thought I’d give it one last serious twist and hey presto it came out!

Rubbing a banana on a cat might help.

Eating a sock to the left may give you extra books.

Or

Just be patient.

Let the oils do their work, wait, use the correct tools, take it easy and wait a bit longer.

legrandefromage":2pjfi6l5 said:
Just be patient.

Let the oils do their work, wait, use the correct tools, take it easy and wait a bit longer.
This is what I'll be doing. No rush to build the frame up so happy to wait.

My only concern is that there is not much of a sign that the oil is penetrating at the moment, even through the bb mount hole.

Much seems to depend on the oil having somewhere to get in to do its work.

I've only put oil in the seat tube. Would it be worth putting some in the down tube? Not sure there are any holes in the chain stays.

Also, I think it's worth getting some proper penetrating fluid rather than hope engine oil will do.

Re:

I dont know if any of you are aware of this stuff?

We used it to remove seized manifold bolts etc at work. Its a ultra freezing spray with penetrating oil.

Just dont get it near your hands eyes etc as it comes out! Its errrr......very cold.......very very cold.

Its the best we found, i think we tried everything at one time of another.

Attachments

• 16139064437125754968242059949845.jpg
    16139064437125754968242059949845.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 845
Not heard of that stuff before, thank you!
Plus-Gas + patience worked fine removing a 18 year old exhaust manifold last year. (Admittedly it was a Toyota which seems to have the attention in design that stuff is easy to overhaul - I wouldn't have fancied my chances for similar success with a 1970s Mini!)

Re:

Time was limited today so all I could get my hands on was some wilko product that alleges to be a penetrant. Have replaced the oil that had been soaking for days with some squirts of this in the seat and down tube.

The waiting begins again.

Tootyred":1biff54d said:
Buy a m8 x 1 bolt to put through the extractor anyway. It saves sheared teeth, torn knuckles and dented frames, when the whole assembly of spanner, tool and frame decides to move.

The bolts are readily available from any good fixing store for 50p. Put a washer on it first and make sure its got 1/4 turn of slack to get the bb started.

Soak everything for a long time first as they all say

^^ this and I use PlusGas it seems to work. I also use boiling water and LOTs of it (being super careful, obviously).

I have run bottom > top by removing the cable guide and adding PlusGas that way. I normally go in through the bottle cage bolt holes on the seat tube though.

SP

Been through all these methods myself except the freezing spray & drilling this week. The bolt was great for stopping slippage. Going to borrow an impact driver.

Re:

Still soaking.

The crank bolt and steel plate hold the tool tightly so that's covered.

Will leave to soak, topping up as needed for a while, will keep trying and see where it leads.

Will try boiling water as well, can't hurt.

A side note, the ti finish looks lovely after a coat and wipe down of engine oil. Accidental discovery when pouring the oil out, who knew?

Back