Stopping Smoking - wish me luck!!

Re: Smoking - wish me luck!!

Keep going TGR!! Strangely when I tried to stop using gum and patches years ago I was the same as you and could not stop thinking about cigs. Did not have that problem at all this time using the e-cig. I'd recommend you give them a go as you don't have to change all your habits. In the end I realised I was sucking on plastic so gave up. Much easier.

Thanks, a few people have advised to use the eCig - i will see what happens this week and if things do not improve, I will try it. I have relied on chewing gum and mints and oddly my weight is rising but a little extra weight would be a small price to pay if i stay stopped.

Richard

TGR":nakaepg0 said:
Another update - still not smoking, the tablets seem to be doing something, what that exactly is - i am not sure. My wife mentioned that i am not in good form at the moment - it might be the tablets or it might just be me. It really is amazing how much time i spend thinking of smoking.

Having gone for three weeks without one, I have been able to work out that I need to get my head working and everything else will follow. The association with smoking and certain tasks, journeys etc seems to be the hardest thing. I normally smoked 2 cigs on the way to work and 2 on the way home - these are hard to replace and as the journey is boring, i spend my time thinking about smoking - that is the hardest bit.

We are having a party tonight (pop over if you are free), and there is a chance i will smoke tonight. I do not think that will be a problem as long as i don't repeat this tomorrow but i will try hard to avoid it.

If anyone else is stopping, good luck.

Richard

If you're worried you may smoke, just make sure there's no fags in the house. If it's because guests may have them, just be sure to let them know you've recently stopped and not to offer you one.

Plan to succeed, so if there are any in the house now, then get rid of them - but not in your own bin - put them in a bag and when you're out put them in a bin miles away.

Those e-cig inhaler things are an unknown when it comes to health, by using them you may be storing up all sorts of problems in later life.

I don't smoke ,but I did as a kid. My brother was a heavy smoker and has stopped but he consumes huge quantities of snus. Ugh!
Both my grandfathers smoked, it was their undoing and put them in their graves. :(

Give up and do timed rides and see if you get any faster over time as your body recovers, it might give you some encouragement to stay smoke free.

And good luck ;)

Thanks for the advice. I still have a packet of cigs in the house and a few cigars - i might get rid of them.

Bugloss, what are snus?

As i am not out on my bike enough, the timed ride is a moot point really - last time i timed myself I used a sun dial!

Thanks all - Happy Smokeless Halloween,

Richard

TGR":oue6n41c said:
Thanks for the advice. I still have a packet of cigs in the house and a few cigars - i might get rid of them.

No "might", get rid today, this very morning and well away from your house, too.

If you truly want to quit, one of the things you need to do is make it as difficult as possible to weaken and have the odd one. Don't keep them as a safety net, or as some kind of potential comfort, get rid this morning, deliberately go out with them in a bag, and dump them in a bin well away from where you live.

Snus Richard is a horrendous tobacco product that comes in a small pouch, much like a tea bag. You stuff it up between your top lip and your top gum and it releases amongst other things, nicotine into you blood stream through your gum.

It's big in Sweden and Norway, but the Danes have banned it, they banned Marmite too, but that's another story.

It contains ammonia as well as all sorts of other Keep fresh chemicals and carries a health warning that indicates that it "might" cause oral cancer.

Not good to put in your cake hole, I reckon.

A friend of ours who works off shore ran out and craved so much that the rig captain had to put in a special order for it when the chopper came with supplies, No snus, no work said Tore. :roll:

Why don't you sit down and chain smoke those cigars and all those cigarettes, that's what I had to do with weed, I smoked so much in one sitting until I couldn't smoke any more, said goodbye to the bag containing the rest and flung it on the fire. Don't smoke it anymore. :)

Sounds similar to Skoal Bandits, i think i could manage without snus!!

Dare i ask about the Marmite? Is it addictive and dangerous too? I should add, i do not like it.

Richard

I'm not sure but the Danes are a very cautious bunch indeed. Something to do with added vitamins in food products.

Another update - 4 weeks without a cigarette and i have missed a few tablets without noticing so all is good so far.

I can see the appeal of the ecigs now - something for your hands to do etc but i will persist without one for a while and see how i get on. I re-read my first post and it seems like months ago now - it still amazes me how much time i am thinking about cigs, changing a habit which i have had for 30 years will take time i suppose.

Richard

Back