Stem cap/forks issue

Norwood42

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I unscrewed and removed the stem cap on my Specialized yesterday, took the stem off then put stem back on and screwed the cap back on but now there is play/wobble in the front forks. I've loosened and tightened the stem cap again and now the front forks are completely stiff and hardly turn.
Anybody know what the bjesus i've done wrong??? I can't figure out how the stem bolt has affected the forks as all it does is screw into a hole at the top of the forks but now they don't move!
Any ideas?
TIA

You've done nothing wrong. All that you did was tighten the cap too much that it jammed the bearing.

Have a look at the Park Tool videos on headset adjustment. Gently does it.

You've done nothing wrong. All that you did was tighten the cap too much that it jammed the bearing.

Have a look at the Park Tool videos on headset adjustment. Gently does it.
Thanks a lot I’ll check the videos! So the stem cap should only by very slightly tightened I guess?

Yes, its job is to set bearing preload only. It generally doesn't take any real force to turn the bolt when it's enough. If it feels more hand pressure than turning a key in a lock it's likely too much.

Yes like above, the stem cap sets the headset preload.

Put stem on but do not tighten bolts, put cap in and tighten until the forks turn smooth, not too tight so they bind and not too loose so they wobble, then tighten stem bolts, should be good to go then.

Back