STEALTHY BUILD - Dekerf Team SoftTail

Re: Dekerf Team ST build (Dekerf experts in here please!)

Argos certainly are not top draw painters, their finish in my experience has always been fragile and chipped or flaked badly in a short space of time. The finish looks good when you first get it back but thats about it.

TOMAS":1anf05kj said:
1552: The seller did say in description about the lacquer peel, its a shame and I thought that Argos were meant to be top-draw painters but appears possibly might not be the case if this is happening?

*** SKIP THE BELOW NOTES AS I'VE NOW SOLVED THE REAR SHOCK PROBLEM... ***
So earlier I unbolted both the lower bridge bolts and then the upper collet clamp, I quickly discovered that as Baulz says, when it situ it forces the stays downwards, so these sprung up a little upon removing the Circlip. I then began to pull the shaft from the bottom but it got stuck and wouldn't come any further!? So appears the 1-piece shock shaft (stainless I believe as not magnetic) slides into a plastic/nylon type bushing, which is then surrounded by a metal cylinder, which then fits up inside the upper part of the frame bridge thats welded to seattube - is the internal spring just loose inside all of this, or fixed in any way?

The one thing i'm dubious about is the metal 'collar' that surrounds the nylon bush that started to slide out, this appeared to have white sealant around it, perhaps 'bonding' it in place, whatever the case, it isn't 'bonded' anymore. I really could do with an exploded pic of the few components that make up the 'shock' so that I can be sure all is good.

So its at the point where I can pull it out so that the top of the shaft is virtually level with its entry into the top of the upper bridge but it won't come any further and really don't want to start applying any brute forces with the rear end of the frame effectively not connected up properly, incase I damage something :(

Re: Dekerf Team ST build (Dekerf experts in here please!)

fattiman":3i93xozn said:
Argos certainly are not top draw painters, their finish in my experience has always been fragile and chipped or flaked badly in a short space of time. The finish looks good when you first get it back but thats about it.

Cheers for the input, I know little about frame painters out there... despite my large collection I've never had a frame repainted, had some forks powdercoated and thats about it! It certainly does look fragile, I'll have to remember for future if I need a painters to avoid them, my friend uses Bob Jackson and says they are good guys :)

Back