Started a build with a fork. Ended up with a 1987 Fat Chance

Re: Starting a build with a fork :)

Ooh! that's nice :cool: .
So you most certainly got a good deal on the Campagnolo crankset's then :shock: ..

I didn't think you'd be interested in a Fat tbh however i did try looking for a Zinn and a Merlin earlier on without finding any Zinn but i did see some modern looking Merlin's but didn't think you'd be interested .

Always funny how some builds play out ... especially with the rarer stuff.

I picked up a Box Crown FC fork a while back and began looking for a frame to put it on. Got my mitts on lots of nice campy stuff in the process.

Than this 1987 Fat Chance Wicked turned up. Its in good shape with a few nicks that need to be touched up but I think I can save it. I got it from the original owner who actually worked for FC back in the 80s (thus the initials on the dropout and fancy bottle bosses).

This does change things a lot. Its back to Shimano for the build. No Campy in 1987 and no Campy cantilevers until 1990 or 1991 I think.

Just messing around. Not sure how much of this will stick.

I brought it back closer to period correct with some XT730, IRD, Suntour, etc.

Re:

Love it when ex FCC employee bike's occasionaly show up. I'd practically k1ll for a frame like that, with an original box crown, although they were reputedly more fragile than subsequent unicrowns. They look sooooo puuuurty. :cool:

I do say it should be correct period groupo on an ex factory bike. Provenance is especially important on these but thats just my opinion. Love the colour too.

Looking forward to how this finally turns out :D

The forks were recalled I think and gussets were added to the back side of the blades at the crown. This one has the gussets so fingers crossed ;)

I need to build a wheelset for it (that one on it is xcpro), and make a decision about how much black I want on it. It's a pretty simple build tough. The BB bearings had some surface rust, but looked great inside so just a quick service there. I don't have the tool for the 600 headset, but I assume it also just needs a clean up.

Might find some Cooks Cranks for it ... maybe. I have a nice set of tires coming for it. Just trying to save as many original parts as I can.

jimi911":ea4e7ncx said:

I love that fork. Here's mine bought some years ago at First Flight shop for my 87 Fat Chance

I got some brake problem on mine and I had to machine the Shimano U-brake : the diameter of the bosses was a bit big… Another standard ?
The red one is yours or you change the bosses ?

Re:

Awesome setup there.

I started with the red fork and intended to do a build with it. Than this near complete '87 Wicked came along and I jumped at it. The red fork is moved on to a friend.

Re:

Tell him about bosses... Jeff told me that some roller cams were bolted on mine :D

Here's some shots of the bike pre and post resto ... not quite done, but close :)

As I got it from the original owner (ex Fat Chance Employee)

All fixed up ...

Great riding bike!

Back