Spooky Bandwagon Build

Thanks,

Kevhl":39xmg20k said:
Love this!

Had a Bandwagon when the first came out, built with Biguns, XLite Phatso's, Magura Gustav Ms, Bomber dropoffs (resprayed in black). Great bike.
Got jumped by 5 guys whilst street riding in Manchester, guy I was riding with was cornered in so I couldn't get away without leaving him... bike was never seen again. Gutted!

You're right about cranks/BBs of the time being made of cheese

ah man, that's grim!

I must have ruined so many cranks when I younger, forever trying to extend their life by cutting up coke cans lol

Awesome project. Thanks for sharing, I remember your name from my 24 Seven, now sold, short so didn't even build it!
Love what you've done with this, still an authentic modified rider. The mix of new and old works perfect. I recently built a DMR Switchback for the GF, modern 10 speed on that but used a blue octalink Deore LX crank looks decent, first affordable 170 crankset I found, it won't get hammered if it is cheese.

reanimation":ityz63bt said:
Awesome project. Thanks for sharing, I remember your name from my 24 Seven, now sold, short so didn't even build it!
Love what you've done with this, still an authentic modified rider. The mix of new and old works perfect. I recently built a DMR Switchback for the GF, modern 10 speed on that but used a blue octalink Deore LX crank looks decent, first affordable 170 crankset I found, it won't get hammered if it is cheese.

Thanks, I am really please with how the build has turned out! It looks the part, and rides like a dream. I do need to urgently service the forks though, and hopefully I can keep them going! I am going to treat myself to a modern frame to sit alongside this, as whilst it is fun to thrash down some trails on, my lanky frame makes it a little uncomfortable. Have another photo

DDF_5596-e1602579942975.jpg

Not surprised you sold the 24seven, they were bomb proof frames but so very small and heavy!

A few updates from my bike. Having managed to track down a new set of oil seals, and a new pair of bushings (plus some spares), I was able to rebuild my Z1s over the Christmas period and resolve the juddering under breaking I was experience. This was done through a combination of new bushings and by sliding a very thing shim between the bushing and fork leg. The play was removed!

2020-12-28-12.36.15-e1610014361711.jpg

The other thing I did was wreck an old pair of V12s after the bushing collapsed and chewed up the internals! I have never managed that before. A quick scour of facebook market place found a silver pair of DMR V12 Mag pedals locally, and from 2002. I stripped these down to refurbish them, and then decided to have them powder coated orange to closely match my forks. To keep the original look of the forks, I carefully removed the old wipers from the forks so that they could be reinstalled (these were new when I last replaced the oil seals in 2015), so were in good nick.

2021-01-03-15.24.39-e1610014887377.jpg

2021-01-05-18.04.16-e1610016134338.jpg

Next projects are to rebuild my front and rear Hope Mini Mono calipers, turn down a dropper post from 27.2 to 26.8 so that I can install an office chair to my bike. Later in the year, I think I will have the frame stripped down and powdered coated.

Short update to the retro-mod Bandwagon. I decided a dropper post would be a useful addition. The problem, a 26.8mm seat tube means that the only available dropper is quite expensive. The solution, buy a Brand X dropper at 27.2 and have a friend turn it down to the correct diameter.

2021-05-30-17.18.52-e1622804378781.jpg

2021-05-30-17.52.40.jpg

I also managed to pick up off ebay a NOS 160mm mini mono disc that matches the style of the front. A small item, but it looks 1000% better with matching discs now.

2021-05-31-16.24.19.jpg

I have also sold all of the brake brackets I had machined up this time last year, great success. They are now on bikes in the UK, USA and Australia!!!

Next up: I may have the frame resprayed.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but what size BB spindle length are you running and what brand, I'm rebuilding my Bandwagon. Cheers

Back