Specialized Rockhopper Nitanium Cromo 1998? 3rd frame...

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So this is my 3rd attempt at one of these frames.
First was an accident/mistake, I bought a 21 inch nickel one misadvetised as a road/touring 700c frame

Then the Rusthopper rat frame from a chap here. It seemed to have bent forks and minor vice marks on the down tube so arguably not worth a professional powder coat... I wanted to come up with a creative finish idea but all seem complicated or expensive.

Then there's this 3rd one. I knew nothing of these since my accidental purchase and learning on here so now I'm hooked to trying one. This one looks honest but has lots of bashes to the paint especially the chain and seat stays from chain bash and storage etc.
I'm not going to build it religiously period specific as I have some modern gears and rigid forks for it but thinking flat bars and period D521 wheels.
On one hand the patina is paid for and might make a good commuter with this look. On the other hand I'm tempted to get a powder coat! I like the original decals though. What to do?

The other : rat.

Great bike, steely goodness. Just picked up a great condition example from eBay, and am in the middle of servicing it, and replacing a few parts. The one I have ('98 - Blue, same as yours I believe) is awash with Ritchey stuff - rims, saddle, seatpost, bars, headset, hubs

These are great frames! I have 3 in different forms and love them all! Good luck with the build.

This is mine - 1998 Nitanium with Ritchey components.

Attachments

• Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 3.jpg
    Specialized Rockhopper 1998 - 3.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 1,440
Cookielad":7oizaztq said:
These are great frames! I have 3 in different forms and love them all! Good luck with the build.
Just spotted this, oh yes, maybe 3 is the magic number then. Yours is a Nickel finish, i think that's the one I want really! That's the first one I had by accident.

Re:

The nickel one does look great. Bizarrely the red single speed is the one everyone comments about when out and about.
I defiantly think you should keep the original paint, be nice to see how you finish it off!

Funny that, though red is one of those racey colours hence sports cars and red dresses. Fiery!
I'm quite keen on finding a Nickel one now, I was going to hang on for one but got me thinking again, maybe I'll build this up anyway. I've got most things. Hunt out some wheels and got 10 x1 gears for it, was gonna try it on commute as well as trail...

Back