Specialized Rockhopper 1997 for Touring duties.

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
My first build thread, although the bike was almost complete when I got it so not really a build thread. This is how I got it in the post this morning (Thanks Captain Stupido). I have a bike touring trip planned for next Saturday, so I need to get moving :)

I had planned to use a Marin Palisades frame/forks that I bought recently, it needs a powdercoat but didn't want to wait otherwise I wont get a trip in before winter. I decided to buy this as its almost complete. Hopefully this should be a decent bike to tour on, although I must admit I know very little about Specialized bikes.

DSC00335.JPG

Last edited:
First thing it needs is pretty obvious, some wheels and tyres. I am building this with a modest budget in mind and I am determined to use as many parts from my current stores. I have some Mavic 221 rims on LX hubs that were a skip find a few months back, luckily they are straight, true and have good hubs that spin very well. They have an 8 speed cassette rather than the original 7 speed that the bike had so will be fitting thumbies.

I was planning on fitting Schwalbe Marathon tyres but wont be riding on paved roads very much and will be riding on trailways/disused railways. I opted for some unused Continental Doublefighter II tyres that were from an earlier failed project.

That's it for today, only 6 days to go until the trip.

Tomorrow just need to check, adjust the brakes. Fit right hand thumbshifter, and find mudguards and rack that I have stored (somewhere 🤔)
DSC00340.JPG

Last edited:
Then went for a spin around the block, brakes fine. Strangely the original 7 speed shifter works all 8 gears on the new cassette 🤔

Fitted a Blackburn rack I was given a few years back, put on a small Lotus handlebar bag and test fitted the panniers. Not sure if I have adjusted it wrongly as the mounting brackets stick out a little from the rack, but that's the only way I could get the rack to be level. DSC00348.JPG

Just a quick update, between work/family/etc I managed to throw this together over the last few days ready for my first overnighter this weekend. Very happy with it considering that most of the parts were either free or very cheap. Total price (excluding the bike delivery) is around £160. Was a relatively simple task apart from the bent and wonky mudguards, which were badly stored by me 🙄

Ready for a test ride tomorrow. Any thoughts/advice welcome as its all new to me. Bike touring – not bikes :)

Spec for those that are interested.

1997 Specialized Rockhopper in standard spec.

Mavic 221 wheels with Shimano Deore LX M 565/564 hubs and 8 speed cassette

New Continental Doublefighter II 1.9 tyres with new Continental inner tubes

New Avid brake pads

Gusset flat pedals

Blackburn alloy rack

SKS Bluemel full length mudguards

Shimano Deore right hand thumbshifter

Areo/Lotus Handlebar bag

Altura Double Panniers ( ebay £17:50)

Mirror and bell

Attachments

• DSC00371.JPG