Specialized Rockhopper 1990's Help

benslingsby_

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
I recently bought a Specialized rockhopper on the cheap with the hope of fixing it up. The previous owner only said it is from 90's so I'm not sure how to be more specific on the type of rockhopper. It evidently has a few problems which I have tried to fix. One of which is rust on the main frame. I wonder if anyone has some tips for getting rid of this? Also, I would like to replace the grip shifts for trigger shifters. Unfortunately, all lettering on the derailleur has worn off so I have no idea what shifters will go with the derailleur. Does anyone know what derailleur came standard on this bike?
Many thanks,
Ben

I have an aluminum '95 'Hopper which came as a frameset, so not sure what would have been spec on a built bike.

vtwinvince":1f8vhyly said:
I have an aluminum '95 'Hopper which came as a frameset, so not sure what would have been spec on a built bike.

Its got an aluminium stem and handlebar. The rest of it is nitanium I believe.

Re:

If it's a Nitanium frame, it's late 90s: 98 and 97 or 99 (can't remember which). Check the catalogues here - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/ - to work out which model yours is. It probably had an STX or STX RC rear derailleur and you could do a Google image search for those or, again, look at the Shimano catalogues here to identify the derailleur. Any Shimano compatible shifters with the correct number of speeds (24, I expect) should work with the derailleur.

As for the rust on the frame . . . Well, well, well . . . A 90s Specialized with thin, crappy paint and rust - I've got four and three needed completely stripping and repainting (and the fourth isn't far off). If you think it's salvageable, you could try Rustoleum or some other paint-on product. If it's small spots here and there, a fibre glass pencil might help: I've heard good reports about using them but not had much luck with one myself.

Some photos would be good. :D

Re:

That’s some really useful stuff thanks. I’m beginning to think that a respray may be needed. You can see where I have managed to scrub some of the rust off but other sections are too deep to get off. I’ll attach more photos.

Attachments

• 72255148-1072-4F49-A3E6-BE82C8E58B9E.jpeg
    72255148-1072-4F49-A3E6-BE82C8E58B9E.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 299
great frame. i've built a few. the last one i built, i used grp over the welds to look like a fillet brazed frame. i don't know how to search on here as it's retrobikes, so we're old !

Back