Specialized Rockhopper identification

zazu

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have searched through all of the catalogs i could find, but i just cant find any similarities between catalog and rockhopper i just got.
which year could it be, it has one original grip shifter with specialized logo on grips.
I have never seen color like this. searched the whole google, it could be 1994 but believe you all know better than me.
I believe brakes could be changed for some cheaper ones. Rear Alivio, front weird ones - japan
wheels, rear one is Alivio 7 speed, front one Novatec with disc brake holes, as you can see in picture.
Basicly i got frame with wheels, seatpost, seat and some broken parts like derailleur (newer one and damaged)
Cranks seems to be original. Number on bottom of BB - BI 01 96 SP & PR570163
Could it be 1996 from the code?
There are some pictures:
Lots of components aren't original
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-01 at 14.20.56.jpeg

It's definitely from 1994 to 1996. Some components have been swapped, crankset is original though.

Here's a 1995 one in another thread in Retrobike, looking very like yours. I'd say 1995 for yours too.

1693584487838.png

Last edited:
I brought an identical one to this last month for 15 quid from a man near me. its a bit scratched up and the drive train is on its last legs but it is pretty original apart from cheap chinese tyres and the rear wheel has been replaced.

its now in bits to be cleaned up and restored with modern 2 x 8 drive train and v-brakes but i am thinking about keeping the canti's

Back