Servicing and possibly upgrading RS Judy DH 95's

I am always curious why people choose springs over elastomers. When the performance and the ride feel of steel springs are way "worse" then elastomers? Also the costs are almost the same. The work and effort you have to do for servicing is also the same. AND with this fork model, a service and maintainance (lube) dont even take 5 minutes. In contrary to other forks where servicing or reaching the elastomers or springs can be painful.
I'm not very experienced with suspension, I only had one other set in my life and never serviced them. I've been doing some research though and it seems almost everyone who still rides these old forks prefers springs to elastomers. I'm just going by their experienced opinions.

Springs do seem like a more logical solution, we see them used in so many everyday applications, maybe it's just the familiarity and relative simplicity of springs that people go for?

I am selling these sets (elastomers and steel springs) for more than 4 years now. Elastomer purchases outnumber the steel springs with a landslide. So, I can not confirm your assumption.

I am selling these sets (elastomers and steel springs) for more than 4 years now. Elastomer purchases outnumber the steel springs with a landslide. So, I can not confirm your assumption.
Interesting, my assumption is only based on a limited sample of threads and videos covering servicing and upgrades of specifically Judy 95s.

It might be that most people assume that forks which came with elastomers are only compatible with elastomers. I myself was surprised to discover that springs (or even air) options exist for these early forks.

Why not? :) It all about length, diameter and load :)
Of course, everything is obvious when you have the knowledge and experience. For average consumers who aren't really interested I can see why they wouldn't even wonder about the existence of alternative solutions, 'elastomers are finished, get some more elastomers',

Back