Soundproofing a room - help

In pro audio circles it's always advised to use resilient channel to install the plasterboard. Probably more of a faff but it effectively decouples the plasterboard from the wall, which has to be a good thing. Also, a double layer of acoustic plasterboard apparently makes a very big difference. Oh, and google "green glue". Seemed to be very popular when I was researching a studio build, again used for decoupling.

My experience is also that air gaps are a big source of noise leakage, although if you seal everything you then have to think about ventilation...

I want to build a music room in my basement so I'll need to be looking into this too... although I think my main issues will be moisture and ventilation rather than sound proofing.

Nothing much to add except to reiterate the importance of sealing air gaps as much as possible. Not bothering to do so will really undermine efforts made elsewhere. It has a major (surprising) impact.

what i know. density stops air, which is sound, but different wavelengths need different voids to be filled and angled windows refracts wavelengths differently. it gets complicated but google will help. we used to build a room inside a room, but you loose space. but this is building a dead room for recording. the same principles apply, just find the leaking frequencies, and apply the appropiate insulation.......simple! (if only it was)!!

Back