SOLD--Bontrager Titanium "Ti Lite" (f/set requires repair)

tangent

Senior Retro Guru
For sale, Bontrager Titanium "Ti Lite" fabricated by Sandvik for the Bontrager / Trek partnership around 1996.
Serial number on BB reads "MADE IN USA BT19067".
Size: seat tube 17inches (C-C)
top tube 22 1/2inches (C-C)
headset size: 1 inch
This makes it a "large" on the scale used by Bontrager

The frame requires repair to fix a crack on the driveside chainstay weld (see images below) if it is to function again as a "rider": I have had an estimate of around £75--100 mark for this work from Enigma Cycles. PM me for details.

Link to photobucket album of images: http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/JTang ... r_Titanium

The frame shows some chain suck, scratches, cable rub, and the original decals are worn. All this can be seen in the images.

Keith "The Professor" Bontrager autographed the frame who I had the great pleasure of meeting whilst at the 3 Peaks Cyclo Cross Race sometime 2005 (this was prior to the weld cracking!). Which adds some felt-tip retro-rare-radness to the top-tube!!!

£279 (frameset only) + the postage

Attachments

• BontyTiLite2004.jpg
    BontyTiLite2004.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 2,094
  • PB190251RBK02.jpg
    PB190251RBK02.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,387
  • PB190268RBK07.jpg
    PB190268RBK07.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • PB190253RBK03.jpg
    PB190253RBK03.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,387
  • PB190266RBK06.jpg
    PB190266RBK06.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,387
  • PB190248RBK01.jpg
    PB190248RBK01.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,387
Re: Bontrager Titanium "Ti Lite" 1996 med f/set requires re

Size is: MEDIUM (seattube 17inches C-C / toptube >actual< 22 1/2inches )
It's a Large.

Those pics bring back some memories... :D

Re: Bontrager Titanium &quot;Ti Lite&quot; 1996 med f/set requires re

Is it really a large? wow- it looks smaller. Or are bontys a bit on small side for a given frame size?

Re: Bontrager Titanium &quot;Ti Lite&quot; 1996 med f/set requires re

I agree , especially when you put the frame next to say a size "large " Yo Eddy for example!!

Bontrager had a sizing 'scale' , ("sized like a t-shirt" I believe the phrase used in the reviews/blurb of the time) based on toptube length rather seatube length.

So noteeth is quite correct ...gonna edit the txt and let the dimensions speak for themselves...

Re: Bontrager Titanium &quot;Ti Lite&quot; (1996) f/set requires repa

wow- it looks smaller

That's because you're a tall lad. :D

Agreed, though, Bontrager sizing can be a funny thing.

(Hope all well in NZ!)

It must be the same size as mine - which is a bit cramped for me. They seem to have a shorter tt than other bikes of the time.

Was running a 120mm stem and felt very comfortable to me when riding (am about 5'11" 'ish in height)

Plus as you can see in the last pic, had some cool Specialized "Dirt Rodz" offering extra reach / positions...

Headset is 1 inch...just added that to the txt. with some additonal info :)

Hi - I've got very similar pics of the frame from when I came on a ride with you two guys to view it! As then, I've not really got the cash, but it's a lovely frame!

Ian C

SSBonty":wcjjsgk3 said:
Hi - I've got very similar pics of the frame from when I came on a ride with you two guys to view it! As then, I've not really got the cash, but it's a lovely frame!

Ian C

Hello Ian, gosh that was awhile back!...that was a fun ride, if your ever passing thru' again we should repeat it.

The more time I spend taking pics I take of this in the sun the more inclined am to get it fixed up by the Enigma guys myself...it really deserves to be ridden again eh?

Back