SLR 2/6mm Brake Cables - XTR Grey

The History Man":14lgspdt said:
Later xtr then? Would make sense with the rubbers for v. 97+?

Yeah I reckon. The gaitors are the giveaway, bet they're 1.6mm inners and the smaller outers. The 2mm are like tow ropes by comparison.

Thanks for looking, appreciated! :cool:

Rod_Saetan":12rrmm8w said:
I think it pre-dates XTR, the 2.0mm cables were first gen Deore XT (M730).

Thats correct. You can get the oversize ferrules from Synlos on here. This stuff IS bombproof and lasts for years ! Set up properly with Aztecs and after the cables have stretched, its better than V brakes imo and i have tried the best of the latter ;)

Check this too its 6mm that you need.

Shimano Deore XT SIS-SP Outer Cable 6mm, Black https://www.ebay.com/itm/162590200332

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I need three bits, approx 600mm, 300mm, 200mm to be on the safe side.

It's 6mm I need for sure, but it has to be the XTR stuff. I don't mind paying the M900 tax, it's got to be right.

Neilios":rd3k4ymr said:

It's 6mm I need for sure, but it has to be the XTR stuff. I don't mind paying the M900 tax, it's got to be right.

Afaik XTR stuff, even the M900 was never capable of taking the earlier 2mm M730/2 cable, or i and many others ‘ex trade’ would have used it. Its possible maybe if you pulled the plastic internal lube strip out of XTR but why would you want to do that ? or newer XTR can handle it, again with the plastic internal sleeve pulled out.

Good luck finding a cool solution, maybe Nokon.

M-Power":iyfrnn81 said:
Neilios":iyfrnn81 said:

Afaik XTR stuff, even the M900 was never capable of taking the earlier 2mm M730/2 cable, or i and many others ‘ex trade’ would have used it. Its possible maybe if you pulled the plastic internal lube strip out of XTR but why would you want to do that ? or newer XTR can handle it, again with the plastic internal sleeve pulled out.

Good luck finding a cool solution, maybe Nokon.

It is possible to use 6mm outer on M900 with ferrules as well, I’ve done it
However you will need to carefully and slowly drill out the brake adjusters with a 6.5mm drill. There plenty of meat on them and shaving a bit off leaves plenty left behind to do the job.

I love the rope like cable, it makes the later stuff look like fishing line

Maybe my memory fails me, but I swear that my bike came with 2mm inner cables (at least on the rear, I can't swear to it on the front) in "XTR grey" outers. Unfortunately the only pictures I have of it are pretty small and I can't make out any logos or even confirm that they are definitely 2mm.

I do remember one of the black plastic ferrules cracking when it was almost new and it being a nightmare to get a replacement, think I ended up with a metal one.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong (it was 24 years ago and I've had a lot of fun since), but that's definitely how I remember it.

Latest posts

Back